Archive for May, 2006
I’m of two minds about downloadable games. My first question is: what happens if my PS3′s HDD crashes? It’s possible. Does the store know that I own the game, and will it give me another copy for free? I certainly hope so.
Also, what is going to be the quality of these downloadable games? What kind of games will they be? Personally, I’d love to see Marble Madness be a downloadable game, especially if it uses the tilt functionality of the new controller. Hey, wouldn’t that be cool? Marble Madness has never translated well to most control schemes because it was originally a trackball game. But a tilt controller might do the trick. Hee hee. It looks like I’m hijacking my own post.
“I hope we will be day and date with [the] US and I hope that we’ll get the same quantities as US as well. I don’t think we’ll be disadvantaged. In fact I believe the first PS3s being manufactured are being made for Europe – which is a first.”
I will be very surprised if Europe gets the same amount of units as the US. Even if we do however that won’t guarantee many available at launch:
“Between November 17th and December 31st we’ll hope to put them in as many European territories as we can, even if we have to place small seed quantities on day one.”
What exactly does that mean? Will ‘smaller’ European nations get small quantities initially compared to places like the UK, France, Germany etc or will the whole of Europe get equal billing with just a few on day 1?
Gavin has released a new PS3 Countdown podcast – number 18. He discusses the UK price change, minors buying adult games, and more.
Since there was a problem with #18, Gavin’s put up a new podcast – #19 !
IGN has a new trailer of Monster Madness which they claim is in HD. Nice use of shadows especially in the sunset/sunrise part of the video. Looks a little too hectic & hopefully they have a good targeting system in mind.
It’s not the type of game I would show off my PS3 to my friends.
*EDIT: Apparently you can only view the HD trailer if you are a member of IGN Insider.
F1Gamers.com has an interview with Studio Liverpool, developers of F1 ’06 on PS2, PS3 & PSP.
A ton of new info has been revealed & here are some of the highlights. All info is for PS2, PS3 & PSP unless stated:
* Driveable formation lap to heat up your tires.
* Safety car to appear in PS3 version.
* Penalties for intentional shortcutting.
* After race celebrations in PS3 version.
* Improved track accuracy.
* Fuel loads & worn tyres affect the way you enter & leave the pits.
* Jerez test track included as a bonus track.
* PS2 pushed to it’s limits with 22 cars running at 50HZ.
* Incredible level of detail in PS3 version.
* Improved physics & totally destructible cars with more realistic damage..
* More aggressive, quicker & varied AI.
* Visible AI’s hands turning on the steering wheel in PS3 version.
* Full commentary.
* 110% rule not included.
* Cross-platform network play between PS2 & PSP.
* Aiming for PS3 launch.
* Gamesync between PS3 & PSP. Race the qualifiers on PSP then load it on to your PS3, via memory stick, when you get home & continue with the race on PS3.
* Possible motion-sensor inclusion & L2 & R2 as brake & accelerate.
Settle down Henning!!!
The interview makes entertaining reading as the questions are asked by hardcore F1 fans.