GamePro picks PS3 as the next-gen Victor! | PS3Blog.net
GamePro did a nice feature article comparing the three main next-gen consoles on several different categories. The winner? PS3 after months of constant negativity!
Overall, they picked the PS3, so I am happy. However, I think they under valued the PS3 on a few issues:
- Game Library: Yes, the 360 does have some good games, but it’s a small lead over the PS3. If the PS3 actually delivers what it has announced, they actually will have a stronger holiday lineup.
- Value: This has been talked to death. But I disagree with them claiming that the $299 sans-HDD 360 is a better value than the $500 PS3. For some customers, the price difference is more important than the feature difference, but many prefer the features.
- Size, weight, build, and aesthetics: Wii clearly deserves this. However, the PS3 should get credit for lower heat output (I’m assuming as I haven’t actually touched one myself), quiet operation, and having all functionality in the base unit rather than having requiring add-ons.
Three other points
- Media Format: Can’t someone run real tests on a PC to compare the transfer speeds of a 12x DVD and a 2x blu-ray drive? I’d particularly like to see how single layer discs compare to dual layer discs in linear and random read tests.
- Online: Nebulous online support? That’s pretty pessimistic. Sure, Sony hasn’t spelled out all the details, but I’m expecting them to do a great job. I also like what I hear about giving developers and publishers more control and freedom with online systems.
- Availability: This is one 360 advantage that they didn’t mention. The PS3 and probably the Wii will be under very constrained supply for several months at the least.
Entertaining read overall!