I picked up MotorStorm yesterday (again for the introductory price of $59.99 Cdn at FutureShop). I didn’t get to play with it for too long, but here are my impressions.
First off, let’s get one thing out of the way. Racing is fun. A lot of fun. Nailing the jumps is fun. Battling it out with other vehicles is fun. Everything is fun. It’s a truly great racing experience.
Everything else isn’t quite so fun. Here is my list of grievances.
- No splitscreen multiplayer support! This is SO bad! My wife saw me playing and decided that it would be fun to hop in. This is a momentous occasion, because my wife never plays video games. So she reached for the second controller and I had to sadly inform her that there was no way for the two of us to play together. We’ll have to take turns. That really sucks!
- Long load times. Really long. I can understand a long load time to load up the track, even though that’s not the best. But there were long load times to load up each individual vehicle to choose from. It got so bad that I would choose the default vehicle in order to prevent waiting for a load. Yes, it was that bad.
- The lobby system is frustrating. When I joined a game that was about to start, I had no idea what to do next. Other people have expressed similar confusion.
- My car had someone else’s name over it! It was really annoying, and it got in the way. Luckily, I still got credit for the win even though my car had someone else’s name. This is a bug that other people on the net have complained about too.
- Did I mention the long load times and lack of splitscreen?
For the first big game of the year to have these problems is terrible. Too bad Sony will get away with it because otherwise the game is so excellent.