I think Sony’s PS3 has a lot going for it in 2008. Some great games are coming out this year. Just to name a few:
2 Days to Vegas
Alone In The Dark
Army of Two
Devil May Cry 4
Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit
Dynasty Warriors 6
Final Fantasy XIII & Final Fantasy Versus XIII (if out in 2008)
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Gran Turismo 5
Grand Theft Auto IV
Hot Shots Golf 5
Little Big Planet
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots + Metal Gear Solid Online
Naruto: PS3 Project
Resident Evil 5 (if out in 2008)
Silent Hill V
Soul Calibur IV
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Street Fighter IV
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Some great things the PS3 already has going for it:
- User Upgradable Hard Drive
- Standard Connections: Such as Bluetooth (for controllers, keyboard, mouse and headset), standard memory card slots (on certain models), wi-fi built in, controllers can be charged via USB, etc.
- Can install Linux, which makes it a full desktop. Handy for those with no computer.
- Quality Hardware
- Built in HDMI in every model
- Free Online Game Play
- Free Custom XMB Themes. You can even create your own! Here are 3 I made
- [email protected]
Then in Spring (hopefully), Home will arrive. Which has huge potential. But for it to be truly successful, it needs to be constantly updated to keep people interested. A couple thoughts I had:
- Have a exclusive game trailer that’s only available in Home for a couple weeks.
- How sometimes on the PS Forums where they have a live chat with a game developer. Have that directly in Home, same basic rules of course so it doesn’t get out of hand. But imagine going into a huge lobby with the game developer up on the stage.
- I think it would be cool if at the next E3 or Tokyo Game Show, etc. When Sony has a key note or presentation. You can attend that in Home and watch it live.
- Have a area for each Game genre, like action games, fighting, FPS, RPG, etc. Where you can meet people that have similar interests in games. The room would be themed accordingly too.
- Have a personal Home website you can keep updated as well. I think I saw something like this in a movie somewhere. Hopefully they include it when it launches in Spring
More features via firmware update. Like in game XMB, which is actually in Burnout Paradise in a way. You can read your messages, reply and create them within Burnout Paradise. Also the Dual Shock 3 will finally arrive this year outside Japan. I’ve been enjoying mine, I couldn’t wait.
The fact that PS3 has Blu-ray is a big factor due to recent events in the HD disc war. I personally love having Blu-ray built in. Recently my dad came over to visit and I picked up a Blu-ray disc and took a pen and tried to scratch the disc. He said “What are you doing?!”. Then I showed him the disc, with zero scratches on it 🙂 Even if it rattles around in the case, no scratches at all. I’m not sure how many people really know that a Blu-ray disc is pretty much scratch proof under normal conditions. They should really advertise that fact.
And who knows what else Sony has up there sleeves for 2008! 😉 I know it’s a little late for a post like this. But at least it’s still January 🙂
Written by: T0SH
- Cofounder of PS3Blog.net