Survey: PlayStation Home. Excited? Or skeptical? | PS3Blog.net
There’s a lot of both excitement and skepticism about PlayStation Home. Here’s a list of common reasons for each. What’s your take on the issue?
Reasons to Get Excited for Home
- Character avatars provide informal non-verbal communication that you don’t get with plain text/voice chat.
- The Second Life or Web3D type concept has untapped potential and PlayStation Home looks like a much more polished and accessible system
- Platform-wide lobby and community.
- Attend E3-like press events yourself virtually rather than read media coverage off of a web site.
- Game or movie promotional web sites might be more interesting as a virtual place that you can actually walk into and observe the vibe of the crowd.
Reasons to be Skeptical of Home
- 3D avatar centric interface is unnecessarily bulky compared to a simple menu-driven interface. Even if both style of interfaces are available, why bother with the 3D version?
- What’s the point? Feature set doesn’t look compelling compared to existing socialization and community systems.
- Lofty concepts like this often look amazing on paper when everything is in your imagination, but the finished products usually never meet those ambitions.
- Reports from beta users are rather underwhelming.
UPDATE: Minor additions to skeptical list.