Resistance 2: The Great and the Terrible | PS3Blog.net
Resistance 2 has tons of new ideas crammed into it. Some of them seem to be pure genius, while others seem to be cringe-worthy terrible.
- Co-op An FPS shooter co-op that plays like World of Warcraft instance runs is a brilliant idea. Even beyond this game, I hope we see future titles flesh this concept out even further.
- Competitive Most other shooters, including Resistance 1, tend to feel too chaotic and aimless. Insomniac sounds like they have some very clever ideas about handling this issue.
- Single-Player Campaign Resistance 1 excelled by delivering a variety of high quality enemies, weapons, and level types. It seems like they will continue to push the boundary in the sequel.
- Technology The massive enemies, the massive environments, the water effects, the animation improvements, and the increased volume of on-screen activity all seem like major tech improvements.
- Angry Macho Marines Gears of War raised the bar on this: Giant, thick, football players angrily shouting and pushing each other and loudly bragging about “curb stomping”. Gears captured all the obnoxiousness of young angry men and I absolutely hated it. Now, Resistance 2 seems to be imitating this exact style of machismo. In this video, you can see it all: young angry hulking space marines angrily shouting and pushing and storming around. Resistance 1 didn’t have a great story, but it was pleasant pulpy background material. The story bits in Resistance 2 just look obnoxious.
- Jokey old-timey Radio Announcer When Fallout 1 did the quirky old-timey humor angle, it was original and funny. Now, it is not. I understand that the game is set in 1950’s America, but they can not pull off the melodramatic goofball humor and they should get rid of it.
Agree? Disagree? Let’s hear it…