Dead Space Impressions | PS3Blog.net
Dead Space is a horror/suspense 3D shooter. How good is it? Read on…
- Presentation: All the little things are just so beautifully presented. Even things like accessing the save terminals, opening your inventory, or unlocking a door is just beatiful.
- Animation: All the animation is consistently excellent. Worth mentioning are some really spectacular death animations when you are killed by monsters or environmental hazards.
- Variety: The creatures, the combat, the weapons, the environments, the hazards, and the bosses all feature extensive variety. This game has variety in spades.
- Narrative: This is at the high end of video game writing. The level of narrative quality is comparable to other excellent games such as Uncharted or Bioshock.
- Bosses: This has the best bosses of any shooter I’ve played. They’re unique, they all have some hidden trick to them, but they are all beatifully done, and fun to play.
- Art Design: Most of us have already seen millions of space ships, space marines, and aliens over many different games. For such routine subject matter, the art team really ran with this one. This game features the most unique and beautiful designs for it’s environments, weapons, and creatures. This game is jam packed with extremely stylish and well designed artwork.
- Unique: This game features tons of unique touches for a shooter. The upgrade system, the bosses, the limb dismemberment centric combat, the weapons, the zero-grav sections, etc..
- Weapons: While most other shooter tend to feature the same type of weapons, this weapon selection stands out from the pack. Most weapons are designed to cut and slice rather than just poke holes.
- Quantity: They didn’t skimp on this title. There is a high quantity of quality content to experience.
- Nothing: This isn’t the perfect game or even game of the year, but it really nailed the genre that it is in. There are really no outstanding flaws.
- DLC: OK, if I had to pick a negative, it’s the DLC. This isn’t a big negative, just don’t buy it and problem solved, but it’s junk-ware DLC: just a new set of skins separated into approximately ten different packs for $3 each. I’d rather they not clutter the store with this kind of thing.
Previously, I would have said Resistance, Bioshock, and Uncharted ruled the single player action adventure shooter genre. Those three are still phenomenal games, but Dead Space easily takes the crown. It really is that good.
This game has the variety and animation of Resistance, the narrative experience of Bioshock, the graphical presentation of Uncharted, and artistic design and bosses that are unmatched. This is a very polished product, and I would say it’s the perfect solo action adventure title for 2008.