Archive for 2008
As you may have heard LittleBigPlanet has been slightly delayed. For North America it’s delayed about a week. Europe should get it on Oct 31st. But a lot of people have the game already. So why not just let the game ship on schedule and patch it?
During the review process prior to the release of LittleBigPlanet, it has been brought to our attention that one of the background music tracks licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Qur’an. We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologize for any offense that this may have caused.
We will begin shipping LittleBigPlanet to retail in North America the week of October 27th. Sorry for the delay, and rest assured, we are doing everything we can to get LittleBigPlanet to you as soon as possible.
Complete hardware sales data here.
NPD Software Releases for USA
|360||STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS||Sep-08||610K|
|WII||WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA||May-08||518K|
|360||ROCK BAND 2 MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS||Sep-08||363K|
|WII||MARIO KART W/ WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA||Apr-08||353K|
|PS3||STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS||Sep-08||325K|
|360||MERCENARIES 2: WORLD IN FLAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS||Aug-08||297K|
|WII||WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA||Feb-07||243K|
|360||MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS||Aug-08||224K|
|WII||STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED LUCASARTS||Sep-08||223K|
|PS2||MADDEN NFL 09 ELECTRONIC ARTS||Aug-08||158K|
So far, the real stand-out of this, is the co-op mode.
Most co-op shooters are tons of fun with a group of friends on a LAN, but fall apart when you are playing with strangers on the Internet. This is because they tend to use the same traditional single-player gameplay design for the co-op. This co-op mode in R2 is designed from the ground-up for co-op and it really works: it’s more focused on high enemy count combat and less on exploration and story. It really does take the grindy group combat of something like Diablo or an MMO and mix with the action of an FPS. The three-class system really integrates teamwork into the game and you will want to help and get help from your teammates.
I only had time for a few rounds, my team got slaughtered every time, but I am already hooked.
As an aside, this isn’t really a “beta”. This is more of a public preview for publicity purposes rather than a QA oriented stress-testing. All serious QA efforts would happen before the game goes gold anyway. “Public Preview” would be a much more precise title, but that’s really a nitpick.
Via NeoGAF – They are sending out Killzone 2 Beta e-mails now, let us know if your a winner. Just a FYI do NOT game share this Beta, news is you’ll get banned from PSN for doing so.
Just in case you guys haven’t seen what’s all in this update yet, here’s the official list:
Main features in system software update version 2.50
The account creation screens under [Sign Up for PlayStation®Network] and the menus under [Account Management] have been redesigned.
Other new or revised features in version 2.50
* You now have an option to set the PS3 system to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has been completed. This option is available when you are turning off the system under [Users] > [Turn Off System] while content is being downloaded or installed.
* [BD/DVD Settings] has been renamed as [Video Settings].
* Under [Video Settings], the [Cinema Conversion] and [Upscale] options have been renamed as [BD/DVD Cinema Conversion] and [BD/DVD Upscaler], respectively.
* [Sequential Playback] and [50 Hz Video Output] have been added as options under [Video Settings].
* [DivX® VOD Registration Code] has been added under [System Settings]. You must use this registration code to authenticate and register the PS3 system to be able to play video files that are compatible with the DivX® VOD (Video On Demand) service on your system. For details, visit divx.com/vod/
* [Power Save Settings] has been added as an option under Settings. To save power, the PS3 system and Wireless controllers can be set to turn off automatically after a certain period of inactivity.
* Under [Accessory Settings] > [Audio Device Settings], the method for reconnecting Bluetooth® devices has been changed.
* Under [Accessory Settings] > [Keyboard Type], you can now choose the following keyboard types: [German Keyboard (Switzerland)], [French Keyboard (Canada)] and [French Keyboard (Switzerland)].
* In the keyboard layout for [German Keyboard], the “Y” and “Z” keys have been switched and the “Q” and “A” keys have been switched.
* Under [Printer Settings] > [Printer Selection], you can now select printers that support network connectivity. You can also select HP printers using the [HP] option.