Official Review: Vertigo PSP + GIVEAWAY! | PS3Blog.net
Vertigo is a racing/sorta puzzle (missed it by thaaat much) type of game in which you command a Xorb, a sphere-like entity that is usually a shiny silver hue, on its long quest from the starting spot to the finish gravitational field circle/lines… and aren’t we all on a similar adventure?
And now, some words from our sponsor:
VERTIGO is a white knuckle race over wild landscapes collecting upgrades, discovering hidden shortcuts while negotiating some of the most challenging courses in the Universe. Race across tracks suspended high above sprawling cities and lush vistas, but don’t miss a turn… it’s a long way down!
* Amazing sense of height and scale as you race hundreds of metres above ground through 54 Vertigo Inducing Race Courses
* Varied Single Player Game Modes – including Practice, Arcade, Time Trial, Career and Xorb Bowling
* Customise your Xorb Craft – customise the look of your Xorb with over 2 million unique combinations
You’ve got several options in Vertigo once you decide to start your path towards entertainment and everlasting fulfillment, as there are 5 different game modes available for you right from the start:
- Arcade: This one starts you on a tutorial level that is easy to navigate and allows you to understand how the game works. You’re racing against the clock and if time runs out, you have to restart the whole level all over again. After finishing a level, you have the opportunity to choose what level to tackle next, and so on and so on, until you reach the end of the line.
- Career: The game is divided into planets to give it a Sci-Fi (sorry, Sy-Fy) vibe and more of a structured “theme” design. You tackle the levels in each planet and they all share some environmental elements to tie them all together, one after another, until there is no more and you move on to the next mass spec on your journey. In here, you’re not running against the clock, but right along with it, and if you’re fast enough, you get a medal and points for your effort You can, then, use said points to upgrade your Xorb (which you can see in the trailer above).
- Practice: Well, I don’t need to delve too much on this one, right?
- Time Trial: A racing game classic. What will YOUR best time be this time?
- Xorb Bowling: Just what you’re imagining right now. Race down and hit them pins hard! A picture is provided below as a visual aid, and for educational purposes only.
You can also customize what your Xorb looks like with several colors, decals, and motifs made available for you. Will you choose the bright red exterior with the inner steel rim and the eye decal, or should you just surrender to green and yellow and it’s obvious appeal and superiority over all other colors in existence or yet to be created?
There are checkpoints on each level that allow you to continue from their location in case you decide that flying out of the track is good for a fun ride, and exploding into a thousand pieces does not bother you at all. You HAVE to pass each checkpoint before arriving at the finish line, or else you’ll have to start over, so take that into consideration. While you CAN cut some corners here and there by landing on a lower platform in order to bring down your time total for the track, if there’s a checkpoint you missed, it will all be for nothing.
Vertigo is a fun game that has been already made available on PC and Wii; now PSP owners can have a go a it, thanks to this port. Controls are simple, there’s a lot of levels for you to complete, and the rush you get after finally reaching the exit with half a second to spare makes this an easy game to recommend. The fact that it has been released on a portable system makes it even better, because this racer is even better as a quick “pick-up and play” game.
|Fast paced action that keeps you focused on the experience|
|Textures are a bit muddy here and there.|
Published and Developed by Icon Games Entertainment
Cost – $9.99
Available on PSP by way of PSN
– Completed the game before writing this review
– Total amount of time played: 6 hours.
– This review is based on a retail copy of the PSP version of Vertigo provided by Icon Games Entertainment.
You must be a member of PS3Blog.net to enter this contest. You can enter on twitter and by donating points here.
- [Worth 7 Entries] To enter, use the button below to donate 150 points a day, 7 entries max. Please enter only once a day.
- [Worth 3 Entries] Another way to enter is to tweet the whole message below. But make sure to follow both @ps3blogdotnet & @IconGamesEnt
Follow @ps3blogdotnet & @IconGamesEnt & retweet for a chance to win Vertigo on the #psp Worth 3/10 entries. Details – http://bit.ly/ezjFtE
Winner will be picked at random on April 7th at 8:00 am MST.
[Giveaway Winner] Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!... February 28, 2012 | Damon
[PS3 Review] Lost Planet 3 September 30, 2013 | Ceidz
[PS3 Review] BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma June 27, 2014 | the_nmac
[PS3 Review] Magic 2014: Duels of the Planeswalkers... August 8, 2013 | the_nmac
[Vita Review] Furmins February 6, 2014 | Ceidz
PAX East 2010 Swag Giveaway – Take 2 April 10, 2010 | T0SH