How long does this take? Only 2 – 5 minutes. It’s a good thing to do if your having any issues with your PS3. Say for example your blu-ray drive having issues, trophy syncing, performance issues, etc. If your PS3 ever shut off due to a power outage or shut off due to a buggy game. This would be a wise thing to do. Basically what it’s doing is checking the PS3′s OS (operating system) for any corrupted files and restoring them if needed.
Let us know if this was helpful and what this may have fixed for you.
If your stilling having issues, I would try rebuilding the PS3 database.
I did a walkthrough on how to do that here. There are FAQ’s at the bottom of the post too.
Question: What do I lose from doing this?
Question: Will this delete any game saves or game data on my PS3?
Question: Will this delete any of my games, photos, music or videos?
Question: Will this remove or effect my trophies in any way?
Question: Will this work on any PS3 Console?
Answer: Yes all PS3′s have this recovery menu.
Question: Will this damage my PS3?
Answer: Not at all
Question: What about my other accounts on the PS3?
Answer: You will not have to re-activate the accounts on your PS3.
Question: What do the other options in the recovery menu do?
- Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.
- Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
- Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
- Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.
- Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
- System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System
Written by: Tosh
- Owner of PS3Blog.net