Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien is the sequel to Bit.Trip.Runner which was originally released on the Wii’s digital store (Wiiware) and was later ported to 3DS and Steam. It shares some characteristics with the “endless runner” genre (yes, endless runner is now a genre) but features self-contained small levels that can be completed in a few minutes and that introduce new obstacles and skills that players must use to make it to the end in one piece.
Runner2 will dazzle your soul with…
– 5 exciting worlds!
– 125 tantalizing levels! – Death defying BOSS battles! – 8 playable characters! – Tons of unlockable costumes! – Thrilling Retro Challenges with music by Disasterpeace! – Zany Cutscenes narrated by Charles Martinet! – And a whole lot more!
If you want to learn more about the main game, you can read my review for the Wii U version of Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien which was posted over at 4colorrebellion.com. Now, lets talk about the Good Friends DLC.
What IS the Good Friends DLC? Well, this particular package introduces 6 new characters that can be used to play the game! Here are the new playable characters added to the mix:
– Raz: The star of Psychonauts, a quirky and psychedelic game developed by Double Fine. You should definitely buy the game since it is available now on the PSN store.
– Quote: The mysterious hero of Cave Story. He has lost his memory and finds himself in a cave he’s never seen before… and now he’s been teleported to faraway region filled with color.
– Dr. Fetus: The main villain of Super Meat Boy who is up to no good, as usual, when he finds a way into Bit.Trip. universe. What will this nefarious mastermind do in this foreign land?
– Josef: The main character of indie game Machinarium, a brilliant “point and click” adventure game that most of you have probably already played on PS3 or Vita thanks to your PlayStation Plus subscription.
– Spelunky Guy: The lonely spelunker who is always looking for more and more treasure in dangerous mines will now need to deal with enemies and hazards like he’s never seen before (oh, and Spelunky is now available on Vita!).
– Invisible CommanderVideo: Just what you’d expect. CommanderVideo is invisible… or is he? You will still be able to see the outline, but you WILL be distracted by the lack of colors and shapes. Think of how the Invisible Woman looks in comics when she’s invisible.
Unfortunately, this DLC does not have any trophies associated with it (and yes, as a trophy hunter that does hurt), but it definitely wasn’t a deal-breaker. I’ve had a ton of fun with Runner 2 and being able to use new characters did bring something new to the game since they’re not just a new skin for CommanderVideo (well, except for Invisible CommanderVideo) but new characters with new models and animations.
If you love Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien, then the Good Friends DLC is a no-brainer. It provides gamers with 6 new characters to use during their adventure, with all of their personality quirks from their respective universes (and you’ve never seen anything as fun as a fetus inside of a robot that is riding a unicycle made from a buzzsaw).
For a limited time, you can purchase the Good Friends DLC at a discount if you have a PlayStation Plus subscription, so hurry up!
Written by: EdEN
- Owner / PR / Editor-In-Chief