Archive for category Burnout Paradise
July 10th could see Burnout Paradise get a new lease of life in my PS3.
Today, we’re able to finally unveil the release date for the Cagney software update!
This is our 3rd and most ambitious software update yet! It will be available for free at 09:00am UK time on Thursday 10th July ’08.
This is what you will find in the Cagney update:
3 New Freeburn Game Modes:
• Road Rage
8-player team event. One team must race through a series of Paradise City checkpoints. The other team must stop them.
Cue incredible chases and battling through the city, tons of voice communication as players co-ordinate their efforts.
• Stunt Run (vs)
Pull stunts to score points – hit barriers, billboards and ramps; ace barrel rolls, flat spins and massive airtime to score big. Everybody competes to simultaneously reach the biggest total. Hit your rivals to kill their scores and gain multipliers.
• Marked Man
A player is selected at random and everyone gangs up to take them down. The Marked Man scores for reaching the end point intact and taking anyone down along the way.
70 New Freeburn Challenges
• 70 new timed multi-part Freeburn Challenges
• Leaderboards for these challenges that log your best time (as well as those people who did it with you)
• Hunter Olympus
• A secret Criterion Car!
• Rossolini Tempesta Dream
• Two fan-created liveries – the Oval Steel Racer and Inferno Hippie Van
• A secret Criterion livery!
Ranked Race Changes
• Too much to report in this blog entry but click here for the full breakdown!
• Custom Soundtrack support on PS3
Other high-priority fixes and updates
• If you’re in a 3 or more player challenge and a player drops out, the remaining players can still complete it (subject to it being a challenge that can handle this!)
• “Previously” section on the search games list now displays Challenges, Today’s Best and Freeburn game modes, making it loads easier to decide which game you want to join
• You can now view Leaderboards and Options in an online game
• You can now mute other online players in the show players screen
• You can now mute yourself if you have a PS3 Eye/Eye toy
• We’ve increased time-out for online races, and if all players complete the races within the timer, then you go straight to results
• The Airfield has been changed to help with the drivability of the area and make it a little easier to complete the hoop challenges
• Online cars now show damage – roll up to the start in a half-destroyed Hunter Cavalry and everyone else will see it!
• Added a stronger display message if you rule all of Todays Best
• The Easy Drive menu & Challenges page now loops from top to bottom
• Fixed the navigation system so that it takes into account the next check point in a race
• Fixed traffic not reappearing in Freeburn after a no-traffic race
• Fixed online races using Lawrence Road – it’s been reporting finish distances with a little inaccuracy
• Revised 30+ car resets following crashes
• All new sound effects added for Easy Drive
• Driving backwards in Road Rage now ends the event as it does in Marked Man
• Option to invert camera axis for the look around camera on right stick
• Online player information made accurate on the instance a player goes through a checkpoint in races
• If you set VOIP mix to zero it is now saved correctly
• 1080i support for “almost HD” sets
• Improved the Standard Definition rendering on PS3
• New highlight to show the player in Today’s Best
• Easy Drive fades out if it’s unused for 20 seconds
• Boost chaining no longer possible by drifting in open areas
Custom soundtracks baby!!!
Now this is what I like to see. Developers are using the PS3′s unique abilities to do unique things with the PS3. Has your memory card slot gone unused? Soon you can use it to bring Burnout Paradise savegames to your computer and upload it to criteriongames.com where it will be analyzed and you can see all the stuff you’re missing!
PS3 players with the recently-released Bogart software update will be able to import their save game via USB drive or Memory Stick and analyse it on criteriongames.com!
Based on that, we create an interactive map that allows you to view the location of all incomplete discoverables. That includes Jumps, Smashes, Billboards, Junkyards, Body Shops, Paint Shops, Gas Stations and Car Parks.
Our technicians are just putting the final touches to this feature – we expect it to go live imminently!
Watch this Crash TV podcast for some amazing news and footage!! Confirmation that Motorbikes and night time races are heading to Burnout Paradise in a future update! Around the 27:30 mark is where you will see the first footage of a motorbike.
The Motorbikes will be in the Davis update, due at the end of July/beginning of August and will not be free. If the price is reasonable I’ll definitely be interested in paying for it. I love riding around the GTA games on a Motorbike so it will be interesting to have them included in Burnout Paradise.
Around the 36min mark you will see footage of planes flying around Paradise City. These may or may not be added to the game at some point but it hasn’t been confirmed as any part of a future update just yet. Crazy stuff!
The Cagney update (scheduled for the end of June) will also include customisable soundtracks for the PS3 version. Should be awesome! I was so close to trading this game in aswell!
I got bored of Burnout Paradise a long time ago so I’m not too bothered about this news but I know some people who still play Burnout Paradise who may be interested in the 3 new modes that will be part of the “Cagney Software Update”.
No date (or price for the new modes?) has yet been officially announced for the software update.
Online Stunt Run
• This is 8-player simultaneous online Stunt Run – everyone competes for the highest score within the 2 minute time limit and you can play anywhere in Paradise City.
• An on-screen display shows all player scores, so you can easily see how you’re doing.
• Earn multipliers for taking each other out but you lose your combo score, if you’re taken down.
• Eliminated players are greyed out of the scoring area but can exact brutal revenge by chasing after players that have managed to keep their combos alive beyond the time-out.
• For the first time, you can drive alongside someone as they complete a billion score in Stunt Run – you can absolutely use this mode to try and show off to your friends.
Online Road Rage
• This is an 8-player online team event.
• At the start, everyone chooses their team (red or blue).
• One team of “runners” has to drive to a checkpoint then the finish – they can only see one checkpoint ahead.
• The other team has to take them down. These guys can see the checkpoint and finish and choose whether to wait and ambush in key locations, shortcut to the action if they get left behind or just follow the pack and cause chaos.
Online Marked Man
• We randomly choose a “Marked Man”.
• There’s an intense few moments, while all players wait for the selection to be made – you want to stay close to other players, so you can hit the Marked Man, as soon as he’s selected but far enough away that that you can run like hell if it’s you that’s the Marked Man.
• The target is selected and a 90 second timer starts – you get 1 point if you survive and 1 point if you take down the Marked Man. After 90 seconds a new Marked Man is selected at random.
• If you’re the Marked Man, you can’t see the attacking players on the map, your car is a little slower and you don’t get boost.
• The session usually consists of around 10-12 minutes of intense gameplay depending on the number of players involved.
I’m very close to getting rid of Paradise but I may hold on to it to see if these new modes add so much needed variety to proceedings.