Archive for category Gran Turismo 6
Earlier today at the Silverstone Circuit, Polyphony Digital held its Gran Turismo 15 year anniversary event. It was expected that the next addition to the franchise, Gran Turismo 6, would make its debut. That it did. It was said some time ago that it was going to remain a PlayStation 3 title, despite the announcement of the PS4 and that piece of hardware releasing in the same window.
Personally, I think that it would have made more sense to release on the PS4, as it would be a definite system seller, but I regress. I have been following GTPlanet throughout the announcement, and some nice tidbits of information came out of it:
- The core has been renewed; new engine provides more realistic and natural handling, with new tire, suspension and aerodynamic physics. The graphics engine has also been renewed and is said to be more streamlined and future-proof, allowing for more flexibility and expansion (suggesting that it could be retrofitted onto a PS4 title as well).
- The game will launch with over 1200 cars with ongoing DLC. The cars can be fully personalized, and there are more aero mods (a reported several thousand pieces) and wheels. Does this mean, however, that we’ll see custom liveries akin to that of Forza, arguably the best editor on a console?
- There will be 33 track locations at launch, with 71 variations. There is also a promised new track through monthly DLC.
- There is also a new course maker, using a new algorithm and will have rendered scenery for tens of square kilometers.
- Online will be expanded quite a bit, with support for more community features, including the ability to start racing clubs, create your own racing series, and being able to set up championships.
- The game will use a new user interface, with a focus on quick response and short load times.
- Some GT6 features will be compatible with other devices, including PC, smart phones, and tablets.
- More information will come out at both Gamescom and E3 this year. I’ve also heard that there may be a demo available this July.