Archive for category Wipeout HD
The add on pack Fury for WipEout HD is out in less than a week on PSN.
The pack will be priced at £7.99 / €9.99 and will provide three new race types – Eliminator, Zone Battle and Detonator, 12 new tracks, 13 new ships, 6 new music tracks, a redesigned menu system, a new campaign to complete as well a host of new trophies to win. Oh and let’s not forget the additional ranks for you to achieve online.
To be honest I can’t wait. Been looking for a good excuse to return and this is just it, I’m sure Zone Battle will be popular on the servers.
* White Knight Transformation – During battle players can transform into the giant White Knight, gaining the ability to challenge large enemies as well as troops of soldiers throughout the adventure.
* Fully Customizable Avatar – Using a wide array of sliders and customization options, players will be able to create a unique character in White Knight Chronicles and this avatar will join the adventure in single player mode as well as online.
* Combo Battle System – Engage in an easily accessible, active turn-based battle system that caters to players of all levels. Execute straightforward attacks or utilize the fully customizable combo system to allow players to combine attacks for maximum damage.
* True Online RPG on PS3 – Experience the first true RPG action game on PS3 that incorporates a variety of online gameplay elements.
* Environments – Players will traverse through 13 stages as well as visit up to six towns/villages to visit and purchase items at shops or interact with NPCs. Stages include lush fields, open desert, vast wastelands, tunnels, and ruins.
* Multiple Playable Characters – Six playable characters are available, with up to three controllable characters on the screen at the same time.
* Ability to Build Special Weapons and Items – Combine different weapons and items to create a huge variety of weapons.
* Quests – Dozens of unique online side quests are available for players gain special items along with unique weapons and armor.
* Crystal Camera – Players are provided with a camera called the Crystal Camera and take pictures throughout the journey. Pictures can be set on the top of their GeoNet page.
* GeoNet – Players have the ability to write their own blogs and communicate with other players.
This expansion pack includes 3 new game modes; Eliminator, Zone Battle and Detonator plus new music, ships and tracks. Wipeout HD definitely deserves a revisiting and this expansion pack should do the trick.
full details here.
I heard people having issues with the game freezing and online not working. But I didn’t have a chance to play this game until later last night. So maybe it was fixed by then, because I played for over a hour and it played flawlessly. I even tried online.
I created a game and I noticed there is a friend reserve type option. I thought cool, I can invite and reserve a spot for friends. But no, you can not, or I’m not seeing how to do it.
Anyway the gameplay is great, classic WipEout action in gorgeous 1080P. The have a few new weapons which are fun. The pilot assist mode is perfect for people new to the series, it helps steer you away from the walls. You can turn if off if you want. I finished the first 2 sections of the campaign, and got a few trophies for it already.
The photo above is from the zone mode which looks amazing in motion. The walls and street are just a huge music visualizer. You can see it in the photo. In the zone mode you are alone on the track and with each zone you clear your ship gets faster and the neon looking highway your on, changes color in front of your eyes, it’s a great effect! You just keep going until your ship takes enough damage to fall apart.
WipEout has been around since the PS1 days, I actually remember playing the demo that came with my brand new PS1 long ago before I got my first PS1 game (which was Twisted Metal for the curious).
I’m excited to put together a custom techno playlist for WipEout. In fact NeoGAF has already done that, check it out here.
In short buy this game. It’s a steal at $19.99. It’s everything you want in a futuristic racer and more.
WipEout HD has finally been giving a date and price, well for North America at least:
Your wipEout HD thirst will be quenched on September 25. Yes, that’s right, just 10 days from today. For just $19.99, wipEout HD will be available for download only and includes the following awesomeness:
* Full HD Visuals
* 5 Game Modes – Single Race, Tournament, Time Trial, Speed Lap and Zone Mode
* Online play that supports up to 8 racers competing on a track at a time
* 2-player split screen (horizontally and vertically) offline
* 8 reversible tracks and 12 teams
* Optional use of SIXAXIS motion controls to steer your ship
* A great soundtrack remixed in Dolby 5.1 AND the option for custom playlists that allow you to race to whatever playlists you have on your HDD
* And more, including Trophy support, which we’ll outline for you in a future post – so keep your eyes peeled.
That should be £9.99 when it finally hits the UK Store. I’m not sure if I’m tempted by that. I’m very choosy over which games I buy over PSN after I got badly burned with that pile of steaming crap known as Warhawk.
I’ve never really been a fan of racers or WipEout before anyway. Still, I know a lot of people are really looking forward to WipEout HD.