CAPTCHA Image

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Getting onto Netflix with PSN being down
1:46 pm
Forum Posts: 8

First off Sony's reaction time to the data breach is slower than than a frozen turkey.

I understand self interest of a multi billion dollar company.

They full know they have by lack of action and slow to react, they are on the hook for likely billions of dollars in losses from lawsuits.  confused

To the matter of the post, sorry for the fume, as you can guess I am pissed off.

Go to the netflix symbol like normal, it will give you the network sign in after a few seconds, hit okay and then it will come back with login in again, when you see the O to go back do it, keep doing it and after 3 to 5 tries you will be on Netflix…cool

4:00 pm
Bear,DE
Guru
Forum Posts: 361

I'd like to clear up some possible incorrect assumptions if you don't mind.

1. Sony announced the intrusion the day after they took services down. The stolen data was announced the day after Sony got confirmation of it from the 3rd party security experts. This has been addressed in Sony's letter to Congress. In fact they STILL do not know 100% of what was taken. The senator that originally stated he was upset with Sony has changed his position and now commends them for a job well done after he got all of the facts.

2. Its VERY unlikely any lawsuit will affect Sony over this. There have been two filed but they will likely be dropped since there is no proof that Sony used subpar security. It is not illegal to get hacked. They are however on the line for billions of dollars of losses just getting this corrected.

Its still ok to be pissed. Just be pissed for the right reasons and not a fallacy.

Thanks for the Netflix suggestion, we actually posted an article on this last week. It doesn't work for all versions though, but def works for me.

6:14 pm
Admin
Forum Posts: 536

technically, all versions, it should work, but if Netflix tries to ask you for your Netflix information to log in, THEN you run into the problem apparently. Other than that, it works. I always go into Netlfix and cross my fingers hoping I don't get that prompt to come up.

I've also heard that if you still have the disc-based version, that will work, too, but I no longer have those, so I can't confirm.

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
2:11 pm
Forum Posts: 8
Eddie said:
I'd like to clear up some possible incorrect assumptions if you don't mind.
1. Sony announced the intrusion the day after they took services down. The stolen data was announced the day after Sony got confirmation of it from the 3rd party security experts. This has been addressed in Sony's letter to Congress. In fact they STILL do not know 100% of what was taken. The senator that originally stated he was upset with Sony has changed his position and now commends them for a job well done after he got all of the facts.
2. Its VERY unlikely any lawsuit will affect Sony over this. There have been two filed but they will likely be dropped since there is no proof that Sony used subpar security. It is not illegal to get hacked. They are however on the line for billions of dollars of losses just getting this corrected.
Its still ok to be pissed. Just be pissed for the right reasons and not a fallacy.
Thanks for the Netflix suggestion, we actually posted an article on this last week. It doesn't work for all versions though, but def works for me.

In fact Sony admitted that the version of Apache was not the latest version and in fact had not been patched bringing it up to par. Secondly most of the users of PSN have not been notified to date by Sony, they have found out by third party and ruhmor mills.

No it is not illegal to get hacked, it is illegal to fail to notify the possible effected users in a timely manner.

It is also illegal to not user proper security measures to protect and encrypt such info as to make it useless to hackers.

As for the lawsuits, it is very likely that they will not be dropped, in fact they are needed to ensure proper compensation to those that have suffered physical financial loss, that have been and will be encoured. This is needed since the info stolen is in the process of being sold, and publicly posted to those whom would use them for monitary gain, or to maliciously damage individuals identity such as credit ratings. 

The only thing Sony has publicly done is appologize and to make an offer of ID Protection which to date, has yet to happen, each day bringing the danger of loss closer and closer.

As to the first public inquiry Sony failed to attend, stating they were too busy investigating.

If the proper network monitoring had been in place the breach would have been seen in action and stopped.

I am a network engineer and have been employed by the DOD and fortune 500 companies. I have first hand knowledge of detecting and stopping entrusions, it would take an idiot to not see multiple Gigabytes of data being moved off the netwok. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 349

Currently Online:
4 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

EdEN: 816

oly: 608

wolfkin: 382

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 191

Members: 15867

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 23

Topics: 993

Newest Members: Onizuka83

Administrators: Tosh (979), Jay (536), Tosh (56)