Please consider registering

CAPTCHA Image

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

My PS3 Launch 60GB died! Yellow light of death, game stuck inside!
10:39 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 7

Just like the title says, my launch 60gb PS3 died tonight.cry  10 minutes into a BFBC2 match it just shut off.  It's clean and dust free, well ventilated in a 68 degree year round room, and now my game is stuck inside of it.  It won't eject and the support site says that they aren't responsible for items sent in with the PS3.  RAAAAAGGGGGGEEEE!!!yell

So I go to the request service site and they want to offer me a Slim PS3 120gb for $119 plus tax and $29 dollar shipping (WTF on the Shipping?) so the total comes out to $150 something.

Funny thing is this PS3 was worked on once before by sony (3 months after launch). So what should I do?  Anyone know how to get the disk out short of tearing it apart? Will they send my game back?  If they keep it,  RAAAAAGGGGGEEEE!!!!yell

Anyone wanna donate a few bucks to get me back on the PSN???  lol

I'll take any donations...I'm struggling!

9:19 am
jjred
Guests

That's so funny!  Mine died yesterday!  Original 60 GB launch model.  Same exact thing happened - playing MW2 and it just froze and shut off with a flashing green, yellow, red sequence.  Called Sony and they offered the same deal to replace with a refurbished 120 GB Slim.  Asked Sony why the 60 GB models sell for mkuch more than all the other ps3 models and hhe said he didn't know anything aboiut that.  Why do the 60 GB models sell for so much more than all the other models?

Anyway, you can get your disk out - just keep cutting the power and turning it back on and off and eventually you can eject the disk.

2:45 pm
Admin
Forum Posts: 536

because the 60GB has backwards compatibility, more USB slots, and card readers pretty much

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
11:28 am
Members
Forum Posts: 7

I think I'm just going to do the $119 exchange for a New 120gb Slim.  I don't want to risk the heat gun fix or the oven fix, just to have to do it again in 3 months.

Now to come up with $119...... lol

confused

12:38 pm
bandit954
Guests

The samething happened to my $599 investment.  I have the 60gb launch model also and it just died with

my brand new FFXiii in it .... what a shame!!! Shame on Sony!!!!!! I was also advised of their sorry alternative to

to get the PS3 Slim for $119 plus s/h ... or to get it repaired for $148 plus s/h ... and all my saved progress for

GTAIV will be lost for the last 4 years and all my progress for Final Fantasy will be gone.  I'm sick of this. Sony

should'nt be charging anything for the replacement considering the expensive investment I already made. The PS3 stores all of my media including pictures over the years.  Plays my blu ray movies and DVD's so I don't need a Blu Ray player nor DVD player. What kinda shit is this , I cant watch movies, play games, enjoy my pics .... lost all my progress. This is BULL SH** but

in the end, they say theres nothing we can do other than to purchase a refurbished one or get mine repaired. They said they would send my game back ... but I just got it and waited years for it and now I have to wait again ... This Sux!!! WE ALL NEED TO WRITE TO SONY EXPRESSING OUR DISAPPOINTMENT AND DEMAND A MORE FEASABLE LESS EXPENSIVE OPTION. I HAVE MY ORIGINAL RECEIPT AND TOOK DAM GOOD CARE OF MY PS3 AND THIS IS JUST MESSED UP.  SHAME AGAIN ON SONY!!!!!

8:46 pm
Resident Nintendo Nutjob
Forum Posts: 816

It would seem that launch PS3's are having problems with dual layer Bluray discs. My Slim was purchased in november and I hope that it lasts for many many years. The more technology crammed into a console the higher the chance of it going kaput...

9:36 pm
Walker
Guests

It must be a common problem... b/c my launch 60 gig just died as well. It seems a little suspect that after several years of problem free gaming, the launch versions are dying. You would think they would show the same loyalty to their customers that we showed to them... when we parted with $599 dollars. Instead we get the option of spending more money to fix a problem that is obviously a problem with their hardware.

BTW - About how long did it take for the swap? I called in a few days ago and have yet to see a shipping box. Are you guys pleased you switched to a slim or do you wish you had your original system repaired? And did you get your games back? I really don't want to buy another copy of MW2.

9:28 am
Members
Forum Posts: 16

Yikes.

Here's hoping my PS3 stays alive and well.

9:56 pm
Luke
Guests

they fix all kind of videogames

web http://www.pcbestrepair.com

p# 414-745-1664

wisconsin, I pay my shipping and they charge me $69+shipping for fix the yellow lights, now I have ps3 back since 6 months without problem...

9:49 pm
Walker
Guests

Update: I received my new slim in less than 10 business days (12 days from when my problem was processed).

7:32 am
Members
Forum Posts: 1

You could send it to http://gophermods.com/, they repair ylod for $70, and they give your same console and any games in it back in under a week.

7:10 am
Members
Forum Posts: 70

Gopher mods is defs they site to use.. had my psp fixed in a week... cheaper then sony for sure

4:25 am
Members
Forum Posts: 31

HAHHA this is awesome.... my 80 gb(pre ps2 removal) just dided recently..... it was having a crap tons of problems locking up on the internet and needeing to be restarted.

see i got home and had DLed angry video game nerd stuff to watch on my external. and it was like a 10 min video. we got about 5 and it jsut crapped. and wouldn't turn on. tried cleaning it out with a vacum and then we had no power to it for 24 hrs and tried, and then took out HD to see if it wld work. no....

got a new one havent decided if i am gonan send it back or not

2:48 am
Members
Forum Posts: 6

I would say there is now a number of electronic repair shops that can fix a broken PS3.  I found some local people that do it on craigslist.  Now depending on the console, always consider it a temp fix.  Sometimes the fix will last a year, sometimes only 3 months, but at least by paying a repair shop $60-70 you can get your original system working.  You will get your game back also.  I would then get a new slim model then, transfer your save data over to the new system and either sell it on ebay or tradein to Gamestop.

2:34 am
Members
Forum Posts: 31

i know it sucks.... i'll probably try and get it repaired some where around here. when i boguth my 360 at walmart in my area the guy told me that is wnything happens it they send it to a guy in town.... i might try and see if i can get a hold of that place and see if they can take care of it. it sucks caz my robot chicken season 4 disk 1 was in it when it died.

sicne i got a new slim almost all the time when i am done with a game, i try to get into the habbit of edjecting it. unline the ps2 whcih you could stcik a fine point in and eject the drawer this you cant. it kinda sucks. but at least i back up all my stuff when the apployclPS3 happned back in jan.so i didn't loose TOOO much thank god. an external was the best thing i got for it.

7:26 pm
Mentor
Members
Forum Posts: 608

ive got a great place in san diego if anyone needs the info let me know

http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/oly1kenobi.png
7:40 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 22

Well my 80gig first-gen died on my 2 days ago, I just fixed it myself this morning for a grand total of 7.50$ for good thermal paste and two hours of my time.

For all you skeptics on the heatgun repair, it works pretty darn well. I haven't lost all my data and machine and didn't have to pay sony 150$ :))

8:15 pm
Admin
Forum Posts: 536

I fixed a TV once for $11. Two blown capacitors. THat's it. Just replaced them with new ones and it's as good as new.

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
2:16 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 4

I would like to post a note of wisdom, something i have done recently. The 60gb, 40gb, 20gb, and some 80gbs, are worth quite a bit more than the slim models brand new. after having my 60gb since launch i decided, well...it's getting pretty old and it's gonna crap out soon, so why not sell it. I sold it on craigslist for $350 and then met the guy at Hastings (game store) and swapped with him for cash, turned around went in the door and bought a slim model. I did not use mine for backwards compatible so this was genious because there are tons of people who would kill for BC. and i've heard rumor's that BC is coming back to PS3 so, in a word of advice...sell sell sell!!! and then buy buy buy 😀 you will get a brand new slim system, and another warranty 😀

2:38 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 99

Thanks for the gophermods link. I'm going to send that to a friend since his 60gb launch unit just died

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/K1cks.png <a href=
Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 349

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

oly: 608

wolfkin: 382

Eddie: 361

Member Stats: