Warning: mysql_affected_rows(): Access denied for user 'newps3bl'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/newps3bl/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-press/sp-api/sp-api-wpdb.php on line 212

Warning: mysql_affected_rows(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/newps3bl/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-press/sp-api/sp-api-wpdb.php on line 212

Warning: mysql_affected_rows(): Access denied for user 'newps3bl'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/newps3bl/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-press/sp-api/sp-api-wpdb.php on line 212

Warning: mysql_affected_rows(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/newps3bl/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-press/sp-api/sp-api-wpdb.php on line 212
PS3 - Horrible Aliasing 720p over HDMI | General PS3 Discussion | Forum « PS3 Blog and Community | PS3Blog.net | PS3/Vita News, Reviews & Opinions

Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, string given in /home/newps3bl/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 337

Gophermods PS3 YLOD Repair

Please consider registering

CAPTCHA Image

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

PS3 - Horrible Aliasing 720p over HDMI
3:56 am
Forum Posts: 2

Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, string given in /home/newps3bl/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 337

Greetings everyone!
I seem to be cursed with PS3 trouble. Here is the story:

I recently bought a 120GB PS3 Slim, upgrading from my Xbox 360. At first it looked amazing, and the textures and resolution looked amazingly crisp and perfect on my 20\' 1080p HDMI-capable HDTV. Then, after about a week, I booted it up, and the in-game image started looking terrible.

By terrible, I mean that the edges of objects in-game were aliasing (looking very jagged), textures on objects would pop in and out of clarity, and generally the image just looked very much noticeably worse than it did at first.

I troubleshot the problem as follows: I tried several different HDMI cables, with no change. I tried 3 different TVs using HDMI output, with no change in the problem. I sent back the first PS3 I bought and got a replacement, with no change in the problem. And finally, I sent the replacement back for a refund, and bought another new 250GB PS3 Slim, which has the exact same problem. Also, the problem only happens when in games, not while playing Blu-Ray disks, which work perfectly. I have tried it with all the games I have, and each has the same display problem. The games that I tried are Uncharted 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Little Big Planet, and a couple of Demos (Resident Evil 5, and God of War 3).

Here are some pictures to show you what I am talking about. (These are just shots of my computer monitor which has HDMI input. The game is the Resident Evil demo, and the system is set up to run in 1080p output over HDMI, and I believe the game is running in 720p mode.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for something I can do to make this problem go away?

6:42 am
The Grid
Admin
Forum Posts: 979

Try un-checking the 720p option in the XMB so it forces 1080P.

I think the images look fine. Maybe you notice it more because you sit close to your tv?

Can you post screenshots from other games?

7:11 am
Forum Posts: 2

[quote=Tosh]Try un-checking the 720p option in the XMB so it forces 1080P.
I think the images look fine. Maybe you notice it more because you sit close to your tv?
Can you post screenshots from other games?[/quote]

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I have tried un-checking 720p, and the problem still is the same. The screenshots that I posted are not of the best quality, because they were taken with a camera of a screen, however the amount of aliasing visible on the edges of objects is much larger than should be normal. It\'s so blocky it looks less than SD resolution.

I do notice it more when I put my face close to my TV, however, the problem is so bad that it is distracting from gameplay even when sitting at a perceptual-resolution-optimal distance from the viewing screen.

All games that I mentioned have the same problem, which suggests it\'s not a problem with an individual game.

10:07 am
Mentor
Forum Posts: 608

are you sure u have your TV set to 1080p input?? I have never had this issue and neither have anyone else Ive heard of

http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/oly1kenobi.png
Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 349

Currently Online:
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

EdEN: 816

oly: 608

wolfkin: 382

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 199

Members: 15882

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 23

Topics: 1002

Newest Members: wayne

Administrators: Tosh (979), Jay (536), Tosh (56)