Please consider registering

CAPTCHA Image

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

PS3 Motion Controller VS Project Natal VS Wiimote
6:57 pm
USA, Florida
Members
Forum Posts: 22

How do you guys feel about these 3 motion sensor devices?

7:00 pm
USA, Florida
Members

I personally, don\'t really like motion control stuff. It brings in too many casual games. The wii for instance has made great sums of money off mediocre games with wrist twitching controls. And the sales make developers make more idiotic games. The balance of hardcore 360 and PS3 and casual wii is tipping. Dull motion controls somehow get sales with the casual / non regular gaming crowd. I personally don\'t want to see the PS3 and 360 go down the path of mainstream casual gaming.

9:45 pm
Admin
Forum Posts: 536

PS3 has the best system by far, that's for sure. It uses the best of both worlds and improves upon it. Natal is using tech that the PS2 has used since the eyetoy. The PS3 wand uses object tracking a lot better than a standard camera would

but I do agree about it dragging in a lot of casual games. Then again, that might bring more people into the gaming world and could potentially introduce them into more mainstream/hardcore gaming. Or it could have a negative effect like what you mentioned above lol

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
3:38 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 20

Hard to compare them I'd say.  Project Natal is definately it's own kettle of fish, not really a motion controller like the other two.  If it works like it looks like it will it COULD make navigating menus a breeze and a blast.  I'm mostly looking forward to using it for Netflix, but I'm curious of it's gaming potential as well.  Even if it's just menu navigation and an always on room mic, I'm pretty excited for it.  And if even half of the recognition and game controls work as demoed I'm even more stoked.  Seems like something that could potential benefit a lot of games as opposed to a wand that tends to limit what you can do. 

As far as motion controllers that are more game specfic... I think the Wiimote and the PS3 Wand compare pretty well.  Not having used the PS3 wand it's hard to say for sure but I'd guess that'll beat the pants off the Wiimote.  My Wiimote is terrible when it comes to accuracy and leaves a lot to be desired.  From what I understand the PS3 remote seems to be VERY accurate and looks to be a marked improvement.  I just hope Sony implements it better than they've implemented their previous add-ons.  From the PS2 HDD that was a waste of my money to the Playstation Eye... I'm not seeing too much support right away.  And to be honest it's really hard for me to be that excited about a new game controller period.  I like the standard controllers.  The Wii was a nice change of pace, but it's not what I pull out when I want to play games.  It's more of a gimmick or a fad to me.  Plus, if I wanted to play more motion controlled bowling I'd pop out that free PS3 game I got with my Qore subscription.

1:21 pm
Resident Nintendo Nutjob
Forum Posts: 816

Well, the main difference is that ALL Wii consoles come with a Wiimote, so there\'s like 100 million Wiimotes out there right now (I own two WM). Arc and Natal have to be bought by consumers and we all know that when that is the case, it\'s very hard for an attach-rate of more than 20% on best cases.

I\'ve had a Wii since launch and there are several games that use motion controls and the Wiimote pointer for a better gaming experience. Just saying \"motion controls are badz bekse of teh cazuals and their wiiwiis\" is just plain stupid. My main interest for Arc right now is playing RE5 with the RE4:Wii Edition controls. Take that as you will.

5:03 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 9

I think Sony and MS are testing the waters for their next systems. Get something out that doesn\'t cost a fortune that can be a base to grow off of. I am most excited for Natal because if it works like they say it will be very unique. I liked what I saw with the Arc and this could really change current gaming if implemented properly.

Wii is great for mindless fun. Any idiot can play which makes it enjoyable for 3 to 100 yr olds. That is the problem though. It is built for everyone and not so much hard core gaming. Sony and MS are going after both, but more the hard core. This could be a great year for gaming if both new motion systems add to hard core gaming.

11:14 pm
USA CA
Members
Forum Posts: 34

Sony wins this I bet you because Natal is now getting awkward like the racing demo where you put foot forward and have an \"air\" wheel, though it\'s cool still not going to do well.

11:14 pm
USA CA
Members
Forum Posts: 34

But of course everyone will buy it anyway ūüėõ

7:52 am
Members
Forum Posts: 18

Until I can physically confirm that the motion controller is 1:1, I\'m not that interested as a primary controller in any game. Let alone ones that function a-okay with a regular controller.

Before Motion+ arrived, the Wiimotes were too inaccurate for me. Jiggling the remote left to right was not my idea of how Link should have swung his sword. They work well as a pointer, but that\'s it.

8:05 am
Members
Forum Posts: 10

The Move is by far my favorite Motion control device but the more I think about it the more I think they have made a big mistake in design. I really think they made a mistake when they designed Move in that they really should have made the Nav cotroller a motion controller as well.

Imagine that your playing an RPG and you are walking through a field with sword and shield in hand. You would be using the nav controller to make your warrior walk up to an enemy and as it is now you would use the move contoller to swing and attack with your sword but as the enemy attacks back, you have no way to defend yourself. You have a shield in your other hand but since the nav cotroller doesn't control motion, you have no way to block with the shield but if the nav controller did have motion control you could use it to block incoming attacks and if you had two motion controls in hand, how would you make your character move? Sure you could control your sword and shield but how would you actually make your character move?

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but I really think they should have made the nav cotroller a motion controller as well. It would make the whole experience more complete.

9:28 am
Resident Nintendo Nutjob

I always figured that the Nav was a copy of the Wii's Nunchunk and thus it had gyroscopes in there somewhere.

7:26 pm
Iowa USA
Members
Forum Posts: 5

Here is my take on it.

The Wii - My kids love, and it is a fun party system that people can just pick up and play without much instruction.

360 Kinect - I dont know a whole lot about this one since I dont own a Xbox.  But from the trailors I have seen it seems more of a one player control system.  What happens if you have a bunch of people in the room,  wont it pick up on them and screw up the controls?  Can you play two player Coops on one systems with this?

PS3 Move - I am excited for this.  HD Bluray motion gaming.  Seriously awesome.  You can play with multiple players on each game since the system tracks each contoller 1:1.  It launches tonight and look at the quality of games already out, the library of upcoming, and the games that have had patches come out to adapt to it.  I am looking foward to replaying RE5 GE as soon as I unpack it all.  I think Sony has taken the lead on bringing gaming to the next level with the Move.

12:17 am
Members
Forum Posts: 23

I'm gonna end up with all three. My wife really likes the Kinect, Im more for the move but intrested in Kinect. So it will be nice to tell between them when all three are out.

9:24 am
Indiana
Members
Forum Posts: 8

yea i agree i will also purchase playstation move and kinect, i have the wii remotes and their just ok nothing to special. I feel like the game selection for the wii is childish.

4:25 pm
Members

i've played a wii. and i like it. there's problems there, of course, but they're not bad enough for me to swear off the wii.

i now have a move. the demos i have played with it respond well, it's comfortable to hold, and it's quite accurate. time crisis comes out next month, and i'm excited.

i want to like kinect. i really do. but it's just a fancy eye toy. i've dealt with motion capture in my college before. we have a 32 camera setup, and at most we capture 4 people using the light suits. there's just no way kinect will capture motion the same way. how will it distinguish multiple people? what if someone i'm playing with decides to take a break? will i have to restart the game to accept the loss of that person, or if another person hops in? how will i shoot? hell, how will it know that i'm the one it wants, and not someone wandering around in the background?

6:24 pm
Members

I personally think Patcher was right, and nintendo really should have released the Wii HD by now. NPD is proof, and in Japan Wii seems to be doing pretty  'meh' too. 

Sony is playing it slightly safe. I really do hope Sony Dev's learn from Nintendo Dev's on how to use the technology properly so we don't have controls like Red Steel 1 implemented in Killzone 3 or so. Probably the most technically advanced piece of hardware out there but still needs to shine with exceptional games.

Kinect, is a lot like a re-branding of the eyetoy for the ps2. Still feel like it is pretty bad and just being pushed. Know people in Microsoft who think its good, but it isnt as good as Microsoft makes it out to be.  

6:56 pm
USA, Florida
Members

I'm a bit skeptical about how Kinect will work as well. I've seen all the tech demos and presentations, but I still don't completely believe it will work that perfectly. Have you guys seen the one with the vitual kid who reads your emotions? How will that work when there are multiple people in the room? And what if two people are attempting to play a racing game with other people doing things behind them? It took MIT forever to build that robot that recognizes and responds to facial expressions. And like anarchy said, it takes alot of cameras and equipment to properly track movement like that. I don't see how an xbox with 1 camera can do all of that. I would have to agree with bilzac; I think it will end up as an improved Eye-Toy.

I'm ambivalent when it comes to motion controllers, however, I do think PS-Move has potential. I might buy it when black friday / holiday season comes around if I see a good deal. PS-Move has potential, but I have low hopes for Kinect.

7:55 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 30

None of them. I'm a lazy gamer, and like the idea of a controller in my hand as I sit in my chair, not standing. FTW.

10:33 am
Resident Nintendo Nutjob

I'll wait until next year to purchase Move since the current Sports Champions bundle doesnt appeal to me since I already own Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. That and I can get two games instead of the Move Bundle and that at the moment is the best value for me. Once Sorcery and PS Move Heroes are out...

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 349

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

oly: 608

wolfkin: 382

Eddie: 361

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 188