Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

PS3 Problems
6:48 am
spain
Forum Posts: 14

Over the past few years that I have been playing on the PlayStation from the original PlayStation through every generation to the PS3 I have never encountered any problems until last week. Last week someone I know started to have an issue with his PS3 and it finally broke. After 3 years of almost constant use it over heated and would not switch back on. It started with it occasionally switching itself off whilst playing a game and now every time he tries and turns it on the power light blinks red at him. I know the Xbox 360 had a similar problem with the “Red Ring of Death” but this is the 1st time I have heard about a ps3 going the same way. I am a bit worried now as mine is only a year younger and I play on it almost as much as my friend and don’t want mine to break. After speaking to Sony my friend was told it can be fixed but for the cost of £131 or replaced for the same amount. The only issue with this is that all the game data that is used offline will be lost and would have to start from scratch again.

I have looked into getting an external fan for my PS3 and am hoping it will prevent mine from overheating and getting the red blinking light. Please if anyone who reads this blog has ever had either the same or any different problems with their PS3’s Please comment let the community know what happened and how it was repaired. Are you satisfied with the way Sony has dealt with your issues? Has it put you off buying the next generation PlayStation when it is released? I know of a few people who had the Xbox 360 and have swapped to the PS3 as it is more reliable. Let us all know if you have done the same or are thinking about getting the other machine.

9:18 pm
Admin
Forum Posts: 536

Well, I have a near-launch 60GB. Played all the time. Never had an issue with it. The 360, I had gone through two RRODs. As far as fixing it goes, if they didnt have to replace the mobo of the unit, your saves should be fine (I would back them up first, just in case they format your drive anyway), but having it officially repaired would be the best route to go. There might be a parts and labor warranty if it happens again within a certain amount of time. Since I never had any issues with PlayStation products, I can't really comment.

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
1:54 pm
Resident Nintendo Nutjob
Forum Posts: 815

My PS3 Slim is out in the open and well ventilated. Dusted every couple of days to avoid it being a problem. So far everything is great but it IS a rather new system.

8:18 pm
Forum Posts: 3

My launch 60Gb died back in october.I never had a problem with it,I kept it dusted and it had plenty of ventilation.I was playing a game for a few minuites one morning and it died.I bought a slim to replace it.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver

Most Users Ever Online: 349

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

EdEN: 815

oly: 608

wolfkin: 380

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 172

Members: 15848

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 23

Topics: 984

Newest Members: that_guy22

Administrators: Tosh (979), Jay (536), Tosh (56)