CAPTCHA Image

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

PS3 Video Store DRM Needs to DIE
10:17 am
Forum Posts: 20

With all the issues that MS had with DRM on their consoles and how a RROD could mean you'd have to be connected to the internet to play them on the new console, Sony's DRM seemed like a dream come true.  You could bind that puppy to five consoles and have no real fear of losing playback.  I constantly used it as a HUGE advantage of the PS3 DLC vs the 360.

So today I went to buy a few TV shows on my PS3.  I've only done this once.  I already have issue with the PSN TV policy, if you delete a show it's GONE.  On the 360 you can re-download to your hearts content a feature I love to keep my HDD tidy.  This wasn't on the 360 marketplace, so I fired up my PS3.  I should add I have owned three PS3s to date.  One launch console, one 40 gig after that… and most recently a slim.  I received the slim as a gift, so I gifted back the 40gig so that my kind friends could watch Blu-Rays.  No problem their right?  So today I add money to my wallet and buy three TV shows.  I go to download them.  Error message.  I need to deactivate my system.  So I puzzle over this for a minute.  Then I figure it must be my launch console that's tied to the videos somehow… go into the bedroom.  Nope, not activated for video.  It dawns on me at this point that I must have "activated" it by buying a video on the console my friends have.  So I figure there must be an easy way to fix this on the website, at the very least a license transfer tool like the 360 has.  Nope.  Nothing.  My options are to get ahold of my friends, add my profile and deactivate it or spend a few hours in hell trying to prove this all to Sony.

Very very irritating.  And of note, Sony had no problem taking the money for these shows without letting me know they're unplayable on my current console.  So now I get to look forward to a thirty minute drive in the morning to stop by my friends and try to deactivate that console.  And this isn't just a Sony problem, it's an increasingly common problem with DRM altogether.  It makes it so those of us who purchase what we like get screwed over.  It's a bummer and it will certainly be the last time I mention Sony and DRM in a positive way ever again.

2:20 pm
Admin
Forum Posts: 536

DRM has always been a pain in the ass. They should have a centralized server on who owns the rights to what so when you log into PSN, you also automatically get your licenses loaded with the profile. Or, at the very least, use memory cards to save licenses to and load them up no matter the console you use it on (and find a way so you dont have to register the PSN to the console, but still be able to load up the profile and licenses from the memory card)

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
5:07 am
Forum Posts: 20

It's really almost encouraging piracy… pirates don't have to deal with these headaches.  At the very LEAST I should be able to deal with this via the Sony website at this point.

I really think the DRM answer needs to be somewhere in between the two consoles.  I love the PS3 freedom (at least for games) to download all my games to all my consoles and play them all whenever I want (i.e. online and offline).  But I really love the 360s unlmited downloads to new consoles, license transfers and ability to re-download and watch video on whatever console I want.  Just merge the best of both of these and get rid of all the hassle I say. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 349

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

EdEN: 816

oly: 608

wolfkin: 382

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 195

Members: 15877

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 23

Topics: 998

Newest Members: tipforgame

Administrators: Tosh (979), Jay (536), Tosh (56)