Warning: mysql_affected_rows(): Access denied for user 'newps3bl'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/newps3bl/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-press/sp-api/sp-api-wpdb.php on line 212

Warning: mysql_affected_rows(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/newps3bl/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-press/sp-api/sp-api-wpdb.php on line 212
RPG | General PS3 Discussion | Forum « PS3 Blog and Community | PS3Blog.net | PS3/Vita News, Reviews & Opinions

Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, string given in /home/newps3bl/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 342

Gophermods PS3 YLOD Repair

Please consider registering

CAPTCHA Image

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

RPG
5:34 pm
WiscVol

Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, string given in /home/newps3bl/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 342

I recently got a PS3 and am completely new to RPGs. Can someone suggest one that has really cool graphics (prefer fantasy over war) that is… and here's the key… easy for a beginner?

9:54 am
Guru
Forum Posts: 292

If you're looking for amazingly outstanding and fresh graphics you might have to wait until August, for Skyrim, but if you'd settle for good or great here you go:

Dragon Age: Origins – arguably the best title of the genre in the last years, it has well over 80 hours of gameplay (that's not counting the many DLCs), it has an awesome story, a great deal of lore, extremely strategic, following the classic style of Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights (however, it's a better experience on the PC).

Dragon Age 2 – this is very new, it's easy enough and plenty of fun, it really won't matter if you haven't played DA:O because it's not a direct sequel. This is great for the console, as opposed to it's predecessor.

3D Dot Game Heroes – I haven't really played this game, but I'm tracking it like crazy! It looks amazing! It's a homage to Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (for the SNES) but with some awesome twists!

Two Worlds 2 – also recent, it's a very fun game, with a lot of loot and great crafting systems, a little buggy, many didn't like it, I personally loved it, great fun online and offline.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion – a not so recent title, acclaimed as one of the best rpgs of this gen, great story, incredibly huge gaming experience, a lot of fun.

Demon's Souls – this is one of (if not the) best action RPGs that was released for this gen of consoles, exclusive to the PS3. However, it's not a very easy experience, it's unique gameplay also makes it one of the most difficult games lately, but it's extremely rewarding. A sequel is due latter this year.

Fallout 3 – This is not fantasy, but it's an extraordinary game. With a post nuclear war setting you're placed in the middle of the "Wasteland" (Washington) to deal with things anyway you want. Worth every dime, it has easily 60+ hours of gameplay per game and you will want to go at it again.

Fallout: New Vegas – the newest addition to the franchise, almost as good as F3, but the bugs are annoying… But it's a great game anyway, you're placed in the same situation, but in Vegas.

Mass Effect 2 – considered one of the best games of this gen. It's a 3rd Person Shooter/RPG mix up (because you have a lot of talking and choosing to do). It's futuristic and space related, I didn't really enjoyed it, but I just thought I should list it. 

Dungeon Hunter: Alliance – this haven't really came out yet, but it's supposed to hit the PSN next week. It looks great and it's like Diablo, for $20 bucks you'll be able to pick it up. I will.

Well, those are basically all the major RPG titles you have at your disposition for the PS3, I have them all, for the PC or the PS3 and they're all great with some differences. There are also some other smaller titles but I haven't played them, such as "White Knight Chronicles" and "Darksiders".

Here's also a list of some upcoming titles this year:

Arcania: Gothic 4 – seems pretty cool, but reviews for the PC were terrible

Dungeon Siege III – basically a dungeon crawler, a solid title

LOTR: War in the North – this will be great if you're a LOTR fan, or just an avid Action RPG fan.

The Witcher 2 – looks pretty impressive, it's a sequel to the first title released exclusively for the PC, expect it latter this year.

Mass Effect 3 – nobody knows what to expect yet, they haven't released any gameplay or solid info on it

Deus-Ex: Human Revolution – this isn't exactly an RPG, but it has most of the elements, you play as a infiltrator/spy with special augmentations for your body, it's great if you like stealth playing.

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim – This is what everybody is hopping to be the best RPG this year, everything shown and said about is great or pure perfection. It will certainly be one of the biggest titles this year. It's due 11/11/11.

Well, hope I've helped! Welcome to the PS3! A great place to play RPGs!

And if you wan't to keep your eyes out for those upcoming titles, just check it here on the blog, for we have all the news you'll need!

11:03 am
Resident Nintendo Nutjob
Forum Posts: 816

Final Fantasy XIII looks reaaaaaaally good and can be customized to be easy to play by newcomers to the genre and the series. Other than that, I can recommend Valkyria Chronicles which is more of a strategy/RPG game, but worth it's price at launch, and even a better deal right now.

You might also want to consider going on the PSN store and clicking on the RPG category to try a demo or two and see what you like before you buy.

2:32 pm
Mentor
Forum Posts: 608

Wow Pedro really hit the nail on the head…

Two Worlds Two is a lot of fun.. look for my review here soon.

Oblivion and Demon Souls are both great, but older titles… can probably pick them up really cheap.

Mass Effect 2 has amazing graphics and is a great Sci-Fi game.

http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/oly1kenobi.png
Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 349

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

EdEN: 816

oly: 608

wolfkin: 382

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 199

Members: 15882

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 23

Topics: 1002

Newest Members: jforjamiex

Administrators: Tosh (979), Jay (536), Tosh (56)

Warning: mysql_affected_rows(): Access denied for user 'newps3bl'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/newps3bl/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-press/sp-api/sp-api-wpdb.php on line 212

Warning: mysql_affected_rows(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/newps3bl/public_html/wp-content/plugins/simple-press/sp-api/sp-api-wpdb.php on line 212