Please consider registering

CAPTCHA Image

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The Sony Smash Bros. : Thoughts/Discussion
8:27 pm
Guru
Forum Posts: 382

Ok so i guess we can start the rumor mill on this

Sony working on Super Smash Bros. style fighter for PS3?

This is real and this is awesome. The game plays on a 2D plane much like Smash Bros. does, with plenty of Sony branded characters making up the combatants. Just who are some of these playables? This isn’t a full revealing, so I’ll tell you the following: Kratos, Sly Cooper, Nathan Drake (Uncharted), Fat Princess, Parappa, Sweet Tooth, and Rico (Killzone).

The stages are vibrant and varied, just like in Smash Bros., and the style of play is geared towards people that like that series. Expect pretty colorful backgrounds (when appropriate), such as in Misty Island from Jak and Daxter and LittleBigPlanet. In the latter of the two, much like the game it stems from, there are all sorts of cool objects spawning all throughout your match, adding a lot of fan service to the level.

Source

Rumored Lineup*

* in case you forgot who they are.. and to spare the dial-uppers… yeah that's right they still exist. Word up to you my brothers. Keep the faith

http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/58/ramdomwolf.png
8:29 pm
Guru

I dunno. Nintendo has Mascots.. characters that people identify with. Which is why they can work in a brawler like Smash Bros. I think with MS and to that slightly lesser degree Sony their biggest known characters are mostly people shaped. Part of what makes Smash Bros awesome are the widly different characters. Fluff balls like Kirby and Jiggly Puff, Big animals like DK and Koopa, the odd things like G&W.

When I think of the others (MS/Sony) doing their own version of a mascot brawler, if it's not a straight up Head to Head fighter (ala Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur) and they try to do a Smash style four player brawler I just think of an entire roster filled with characters like Solid Snake, and while I'm given to understand that he's a beast of a character I think that as a straight up human he sticks out like a sore thumb amongst the other contestants. There's an animated quality to him that is lacking. A quality that makes the four-way brawler. I've always felt people who ask for characters like Ryu/Ken, Jill Valentine in Smash Bros are idiots who don't understand what Smash Bros is. The same way I think about people who say 'Final Fantasy is the perfect series to be made into a major Hollywood movie' (I'm gonna leave it at that but I swear i could maintain an entire thread dedicated to my raging hate at the last stupid person who suggested that)

I dunno I won't judge a game that is barely a rumor but I can't see characters like Sweet Tooth and Nathan Drake in a four way animated brawler. On the plus side, we probably would have said the same things about Captain Falcon back in the day and everyone else I have no problem with. Daxter, Ratchet/Clank, Sly even Kratos I can conceive.

7:14 am
Harima Province
Forum Posts: 63

A Sackboy character would probably be like Dante in MVC3.....so many moves in his arsenal.

I could see a Mod Nation racer, Buzz, a made up fighter named "The Origami Fighter", a chimera or two. It is kind of tough when a lot of guys are human shaped. Cole would make an awesome character too.

11:05 am
Resident Nintendo Nutjob
Forum Posts: 816

Sounds too weird as to be true. Waiting on OFFICIAL confirmation of this and THEN I'll comment.

12:37 pm
Guru
Forum Posts: 292

I don't think Sony has enough charismatic characters to pull this off... I wish I were wrong, but Smash Bros is just filled with very likable and cartoony characters, Sony doesn't have that.

2:04 pm
Guru

what I think is odd is that they hinted at a LBP level but not as a fighter where as I think Sackboy works VERY much in favor of the point Pedro makes.. he's a very likeable very Sony character who works very well as a mascot as he could be rather cartoonish. All things I think would make for an ideal inclusion.

2:24 pm
Forum Posts: 45

I can think of a decent bunch of cartoonish or well known characters Sony could use if this were true.  Jax & Daxter, Crash Bandicoot, Sly Cooper, Spyro, Ratchet and Clank, any of the PS exclusive Final Fantasy games, Sackboy, maybe a Patapon to mix things up.  I think they definitely have the lineup to do it, the problem is that Nintendo has stuck with a few key franchises for their entire lifespan, whereas each generation of Sony console has had its own 'mascots'.  

3:19 pm
Guru

some of those characters are included.. like Sly.

Maybe I'm remembering Final Fantasy different than literally every other game out there because I just don't see it, but you do make a good point in that Sony does sort of have generational mascots. I do however think this hurts the Sony branding more than it helps. A mascot should be greater than a single generation or it's not effective. If people have to relearn the face of Sony ever console they can't really associate any face with Sony. In this case I'd say they might more likely associate it with a console vs the company.

For my money they have two maybe three mascots they could use that could literally represent Sony just on a permanent basis. Sackboy and Ratchet&Clank (and maybe Patapon). Everything else is either dead, dying, or not iconic enough. I'll put Jak, and Crash in the first category, Sly, and Spyro in the second, and FF, and Drake in the third. Uncharted is a great game I love them but it's not a mascot maker.

Sackboy is fantastic. It can outlast the popularity of a single console, It's cartoonish enough to be warped into anything they need it to be. (Sackboy can guest stay in a sports game for instance, or as a collectible in an RPG, etc) i think Sony knows this and is setting up Sackboy are their chief icon.

4:15 pm
Forum Posts: 38

you guys cant lie tho if they do pull this smash bro thing off it will be epic with epic god of war music but the only problem that would be with kratos is this game will have to be rated M because how are you gonna have a game where kratos cant ripp people apart or stab then without blood flying everywhere

1:22 pm
Guru

it's an interesting idea but I don't like it. In a four way brawler. i don't think I'd want it to be an M-rated gorefest. (to be honest I think that would be even harder to pull off. Now suddenly you have to get Studio X and Studio Y to allow their characters to be massacred) I think going for T is their best bet.

2:50 pm
Forum Posts: 38

true true maybe they can just have kratos rape everyone!!!!!!!!! but no blood and no ripping people apart etc etc just his chains and gauntlets

10:43 am
Guru

lol that would be amusing.

2:10 am
California
Enthusiast
Forum Posts: 118

maybe there could be a patch or dlc later on =)

[PSN-LIVE-STEAM]
long2905
9:25 am
New Jersey
Enthusiast
Forum Posts: 169

They DONT have enough characters!

Who do we got that's purely SONY.

Ok so Recent - Snake, Drake, Cole, Sly, Kratos

Uhhh who else is there mid older??

Older - Crash, Spyro (did he ever go multiple systems?),

It'd be mess of cartoon guys and real guys and who knows what.

Give them 10 years them I'm all for it :P

Vote For My Controller! http://www.fraggednation.com/forum/topic/GamerModz-Giveaway-images-Start-voting-32496/-1
4:26 pm
Guru

Not only on GBA (which doesn't count.... no PSP back then) but Spyro was on the cube I can confirm that much. Crash is on XBL? or maybe i'm making that up.

What's interesting since we're on the topic of Spyro is that the hot kids games "Skylanders" with the little action figures that translate to real creatures and what have you.. that apparently is based on the Spyro license. I was wondering about that and I'm pretty sure I heard it confirmed a while back. A lot of people hate Spyro for whatever reason but I like the character and I'm glad to see his universe (if not him particularly) is going to continue.

7:52 pm
California
Enthusiast
Forum Posts: 118

Technically Spyro did go with multiple platform with Skylanders. Also Skylander and Crash are Activision's properties so yeah.

[PSN-LIVE-STEAM]
long2905
6:59 am
w

Well what i was trying to say was that spyro was on the Gamecube even before skylander which some might argue isnt a true spyro game. I know for sure A Hero's Tale was on game cube nd i think that trilogy was as well.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 349

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

oly: 608

wolfkin: 382

Eddie: 361

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 197