CAPTCHA Image

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The Sony Smash Bros. : Thoughts/Discussion
8:27 pm
Guru
Forum Posts: 382

Ok so i guess we can start the rumor mill on this

Sony working on Super Smash Bros. style fighter for PS3?

This is real and this is awesome. The game plays on a 2D plane much like Smash Bros. does, with plenty of Sony branded characters making up the combatants. Just who are some of these playables? This isn’t a full revealing, so I’ll tell you the following: Kratos, Sly Cooper, Nathan Drake (Uncharted), Fat Princess, Parappa, Sweet Tooth, and Rico (Killzone).

The stages are vibrant and varied, just like in Smash Bros., and the style of play is geared towards people that like that series. Expect pretty colorful backgrounds (when appropriate), such as in Misty Island from Jak and Daxter and LittleBigPlanet. In the latter of the two, much like the game it stems from, there are all sorts of cool objects spawning all throughout your match, adding a lot of fan service to the level.

Source

Rumored Lineup*

* in case you forgot who they are.. and to spare the dial-uppers… yeah that's right they still exist. Word up to you my brothers. Keep the faith

http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/58/ramdomwolf.png
8:29 pm
Guru
Forum Posts: 382

I dunno. Nintendo has Mascots.. characters that people identify with. Which is why they can work in a brawler like Smash Bros. I think with MS and to that slightly lesser degree Sony their biggest known characters are mostly people shaped. Part of what makes Smash Bros awesome are the widly different characters. Fluff balls like Kirby and Jiggly Puff, Big animals like DK and Koopa, the odd things like G&W.

When I think of the others (MS/Sony) doing their own version of a mascot brawler, if it's not a straight up Head to Head fighter (ala Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur) and they try to do a Smash style four player brawler I just think of an entire roster filled with characters like Solid Snake, and while I'm given to understand that he's a beast of a character I think that as a straight up human he sticks out like a sore thumb amongst the other contestants. There's an animated quality to him that is lacking. A quality that makes the four-way brawler. I've always felt people who ask for characters like Ryu/Ken, Jill Valentine in Smash Bros are idiots who don't understand what Smash Bros is. The same way I think about people who say 'Final Fantasy is the perfect series to be made into a major Hollywood movie' (I'm gonna leave it at that but I swear i could maintain an entire thread dedicated to my raging hate at the last stupid person who suggested that)

I dunno I won't judge a game that is barely a rumor but I can't see characters like Sweet Tooth and Nathan Drake in a four way animated brawler. On the plus side, we probably would have said the same things about Captain Falcon back in the day and everyone else I have no problem with. Daxter, Ratchet/Clank, Sly even Kratos I can conceive.

http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/58/ramdomwolf.png
7:14 am
Harima Province
Forum Posts: 63

A Sackboy character would probably be like Dante in MVC3…..so many moves in his arsenal.

I could see a Mod Nation racer, Buzz, a made up fighter named "The Origami Fighter", a chimera or two. It is kind of tough when a lot of guys are human shaped. Cole would make an awesome character too.

11:05 am
Resident Nintendo Nutjob
Forum Posts: 816

Sounds too weird as to be true. Waiting on OFFICIAL confirmation of this and THEN I'll comment.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 349

Currently Online:
3 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

EdEN: 816

oly: 608

wolfkin: 382

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 193

Members: 15870

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 23

Topics: 996

Newest Members: Onizuka83

Administrators: Tosh (979), Jay (536), Tosh (56)