Please consider registering

CAPTCHA Image

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

What features does the PS3 need?
5:48 pm
Admin
Forum Posts: 536

As the question implies, list things you think the PS3 needs/should be implimented. Should be pretty interesting to see a huge list compiled by PS3Blog.net readers that we could post up on the main page at the end of the year (kind of like a wishlist thing). I'll start it off:

Facebook/Twitter Implimentation (not really important to me, but a lot of people would like it, and it's a true possibility)

Full-featured console friendly Firefox/Chrome Browser (including Flash 10 and the ability to update)

Cross-Game Chat (which isn't something I care for, but is rather popular)

Ability to change font color on XMB

Make custom XMB shortcuts to launch specific web pages for the Firefox browser

More freedom in customizing the XMB

More streaming programs such as Hulu and last.fm, without the need for PC-based programs like PlayOn

XM/Sirius integration

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Some subscription services would be nice as well, say, from satellite and/or cable companies that is included with the service (such as Sky coming to the PS3 supposedly next year), so anything they have "On Demand" will also be available to stream via the console. IMO, if they included all these features, the PS3 would be the ultimate media hub, and I think these implementations would be totally possible and free (apart from subscription services which would be through that company anyway)

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
8:28 am
The Grid
Admin
Forum Posts: 979

Full-featured console friendly Firefox/Chrome Browser (including Flash 10 and the ability to update)

Couldn\'t agree more, I\'ve been wanting this since day 1.

Some ideas I\'ve had:

• Remove Locked Game Saves. Tie them to a PSN ID instead.
  • Remote play from a Website or Portable application to run on a PC or Mac.
  • Be able to add your own RSS Feeds
  • Record your video chat/audio chat while in the XMB. Might be useful for podcasts.
  • Install games to your hard drive.
  • Implement my Profile idea

That\'s all I have right now. If I think of any more I\'ll update my list.

10:33 am
Admin

oh yeah, the locked game saves! that's a big one. After I posted it, I, too, thought about RSS feeds. Im surprised that still hasnt made it over. a game install would be a nice option for those who have large HDDs.

Also, just to add from a reply to the original news post, Theo asked for MKV support, so I'm also going to throw more audio/video codec support for other file types.

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
6:54 pm
Forum Posts: 1

What about the PS2 backwards compatibility? What about the tons of ORIGINAL PS2 games i already own?
I never touched pirate/copied games so i could support the game companies, Sony and so.. I never modchip\'ed my PS1, PS2 so i could support the game developers and you Sony! What will i do my PS2 games? They are sleeping in some huge boxes now! Damn!
Was removing the BC a \"Thank You for your Support\" for me, Sony?
Here comes my \"Thank You\";
I will never NEVER EVER BUY PS3 until i will see it will run my 524 Original PS2 games! And no, i will not buy an another PS2 console for the third time! Let me decide that, please!

7:32 pm
The Grid
Admin

There are 60GB and 80GB model PS3\'s out there that can play PS2 games. But I agree they should have kept the PS2 BC compatibility in there.

8:22 am
Forum Posts: 99

Unlock all saves - I'd like to be able to take my rock band 2 profile with me to a friends house for the endless setlist challenges and not my whole ps3
Ability to move save files to a memory card and load from them - Another feature I miss from my 360 is having a memory unit that I could put my saves on to go over to a friends house. I would save my rock band 2 progress to the memory unit and travel with it
Cross Game Chat - Want to be able to communicate with my friends while playing mp games and not have to talk over the self-gloating rifraf
True Multi-PSN Sign-ins - I miss being able to sign in with multiple gamertags when on the 360 to allow everyone to earn trophies, etc.

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/K1cks.png <a href=
11:25 pm
Admin

here's another one to add:

Automatically sync trophies either when you unlock them or when you either boot the system or quit a game (or, at the very least, make it an option)

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
11:42 pm
Admin

Here's what we got so far then:

• Full-featured console friendly Firefox/Chrome Browser (including Flash 10 and the ability to update)
  • Cross Game Chat
  • Change Font Color in XMB
  • Custom XMB Shortvuts
  • More Freedom in XMB Customization
  • More Streaming Programs (Hulu, Last.fm)
  • XM/Sirius Integration
  • Unluck Saved Games or Tie Them to PSN ID
  • Remote Play through web via PC/Mac
  • RSS Feed Support
  • Ability to log Audio/Video Chats
  • Optional full install to HDD
  • Profile Expansion
  • More audio/video Codecs such as MKV
  • Backwards Compatibility
  • True Multi-PSN Sign In/Ability to unlock trophies over multiple PSN IDs
  • Automatically sync trophies on startup/quit game // make it an option

I would have put in the Memory Card thing, but it would be kind of pointless because saves are locked to a console. I want the list here to work in a way that doesn't involve needed modifications before another could be made, you get what I'm saying?

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
12:36 am
Mentor
Forum Posts: 608

be able to used saved game data / character info across users on same ps3.. like we are able to do for little big planet

http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/oly1kenobi.png
5:57 am
Forum Posts: 2

The ability to stream music that\'s not on the HDD in custom soundtracks would be a welcome feature. The 360 does this.

Also some new better quality avatars would be nice. I dont understand why they don\'t have the ability to take a snapshot of your home avatars face and use that as an avatar. I think that would actually get more people to use home. I havent booted home up since the beta lol.

6:20 am
The Grid
Admin

Using a Home Avatar would be a good idea. I wouldn\'t mind that.

1:47 pm
Forum Posts: 99

Not all saves are locked to a console
I take my Beatles Rock Band, Pixeljunk, Burnout, and Burn Zombie saves over to a friends house and they work well after I copy them to the local copy of my profile on his machine.

I just wish I could load from the memory card or usb thumb drive.

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/K1cks.png <a href=
6:08 am
Forum Posts: 20

I agree with the posts about gamesaves and especially backwards compatibility!  Less an issue now that I've got my God of War Collection, but still something that they should do. 

I also dig JimmyMagnum's suggestion about trophies.  All of that stuff is still pretty broken.  I'm not sure about forcing it to sync automatically, I'd say just have it work like the 360.  You unlock it while connected to the PSN and it's unlocked.  Period.  No more syncing.  On that same note, I think the PS3 really needs a site like 360Voice or MyGamerCard.net.  Something where you can easily have all your trophies stacked up in unique ways.  I'm a stat-a-holic and without that sort of thing trophies are a complete non-event for me.  In general (maybe it's just me) I haven't seen the same urgency to unlock trophies as I do with achievements.  The magic just seems to be missing… so note to Sony, add magic.  lol

But my BIGGEST pet peeve is all the profile stuff.  I know they've fixed some of these issues, but they've left it up to the developers to implement it.  That's not really a fix in my book.  I want to know that my wife can log in and play each and every co-op game we get and be able to unlock trophies and or have any game progress saved to her account as well.  As it stands with any co-op game on the PS3 I have to go around and try to ask pretty specific questions to the gaming forums before I can make any purchase.  This is something that leads me to keep buying the 360 version where this stuff all just works.  Also, with the 360 we have our gamertags and saves all saved to the memory units.  That way when we go out and see friends we can just pop our memory cards into their consoles and immediately jump in to play some Halo.  Everything is kept synced and current.  I want the same functionality from the PS3.  I want a USB thumbstick that my profile can stay logged into that'll load all my save games.  I don't want to try to type stuff in with that damn controller any more and save things from HDD to USB to HDD… I'm beyond over that.  Give me something I can save to that I can take with me to play when and how I want. 

I don't want or need a browser in my PS3… but all of that stuff would get me to use my console for gaming a heck of a lot more.

-- Edit -- Also to expand on the trophy issues.  After playing some God of War today (THANK YOU GOD OF WAR COLLECTION!!!) I wanted to see what specifically a rather vague trophy title was actually for.  The trophy popped up as I unlocked it and I mashed the guide button (or whatever it is on the PS3).  On the 360 that immediately takes you to the little info blurb on the achievement that shows what it's worth and what it's for.  When you're done you just push B and get back into your game.  On the PS3 I mashed that button and it took me to the in-game XMB.  I then had to cycle up to the "trophy" section, select God of War and then try to remember what the vague achievement was I wanted more info on by scrolling through the list, find it, and click on it.  It's something I love to do on the 360, it makes me love my achieves.  The next vague trophy I get I'll ignore... it's not worth that much bother.  It's just an over complicated system for something that's supposed to be an immediate and small reward.

7:15 pm
USA, Florida
Forum Posts: 22

The PS3 needs the option to listen to music through the XMB while gaming.

9:41 pm
Admin

technically, that's available now, but developers have to support it. one perfect use for it was with last year's Smackdown vs Raw title (not sure if its still available on this year's) where you can select the theme song for your wrestler(s), unlike the 360 version, which used the first song on a selected playlist (so multiple superstars with multiple theme songs would need multiple 1-song playlists saved)

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
7:47 am
Forum Posts: 20

Yeah, I'll add that one in as well.  It might be "technically" available, but until it's in each and every game no matter what it's not something Sony can or should cross of their list.  I use it heavily on the 360 and would be using it on the PS3 if it had more games I wanted to play and of course if they added the feature.

Just out of curiosity, how many developers actually bother to add the feature?  Was it in Uncharted 2, Resistance 2, Killzone 2 or the newest Ratchet and Clank for example?  I ask because those are all games I'm debating purchasing (except KZ2, the demo unsold me on that one... icky) and they all represent the most well known titles on the system so far.

12:40 pm
s.s. ict
Forum Posts: 23

music in game would be nice....  but I would really for my PS3 to make a nice set of warm wet lips for me to insert my uhhh... controller!

12:39 am
Forum Posts: 21

Better chat between PS3 and PSP would be great.  They could take the easy way out and just add a skype client to the PS3, it's all ready on PSP.

I'd like a better way of monitoring the PS3 camera from the PSP too.  Make it a two way communication, PS3 sends video and sound to the PSP and the PSP sends audio to the PS3. 

11:20 pm
Admin

going to add this link in here for future reference:

http://www.ps3blog.net/2009/12/03/december-09-ps3-.....re-wishes/

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
10:41 pm
Forum Posts: 5

mmm..

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 349

Currently Online: