CAPTCHA Image

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Which PS3 is best?!
7:02 pm
Forum Posts: 1

Should I buy a new slim or should I go with the reverse compatible and upgrade the HDD?

8:44 pm
Forum Posts: 18

Personally, I stopped caring about backwards compatibility when Microsoft opted not to include Dreamcast backwards compatibility with the original Xbox.

But if it\'s a feature you are interested in, go with the older model. Be forewarned though, just because it\'s a chubster PS3 does not immediately make it a backwards compatible model. It must be either a 20 GB model, 60 GB model, or one of the 80 GB bundles (Motorstorm or MGS4).

There are also individual differences between the backwards compatible models as well. I\'m sure there\'s a PS3 system matrix-style document floating around on the internet somewhere, I\'m just too lazy to look it up.

If none of that matters, go for the slim.

The most important advice is to do your research. See what models are within your price range and fit your needs.

11:39 am
Resident Nintendo Nutjob
Forum Posts: 816

It depends. The slim consumes less energy, doesn\'t heat up as much, comes with a bigger HD standard and IS considerably smaller than the older models. If BC is so important to you, and the other \"CONS\" don\'t change your opinion, then go with the 80 GB MGS bundle or find a 20 GB and upgrade the HDD since that model also includes other card slots not included with newer models.

4:34 pm
Forum Posts: 9

The original 60 and 20s also played SACDs, a feature I really wish I had. The 80gb PS3 wasn\'t fully BC like the original units. The Slim can bitstream HD audio which means your Receiver can decode the audio and display Dolby True HD (this is a feature that many people like).

All of them do the core things you will use 99.9% of the time.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver

Most Users Ever Online: 349

Currently Online:
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

EdEN: 816

oly: 608

wolfkin: 382

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 189

Members: 15865

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 23

Topics: 992

Newest Members: solariz

Administrators: Tosh (979), Jay (536), Tosh (56)