Please consider registering

CAPTCHA Image

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

360 Failure Rate 24%
10:34 am
Admin
Forum Posts: 536

Here's an interesting article:

http://games.venturebeat.com/2009/09/02/xbox-360-g.....two-years/

But surveys are now showing just how extensive the problems are. Microsoft’s consoles breaks down about 23.7 percent of the time in its first two years of use, according to warranty firm Square Trade’s analysis of 16,000 failed consoles. By comparison, the Sony PlayStation 3 has a failure rate of 10 percent after two years and the Nintendo Wii fails 2.7 percent during the same period. In other words, the Wii is nine times more reliable than the Xbox 360.

I've said it before, but I've had the RROD 2 times already and am on my thrid console

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
12:57 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 99

was on my 4th before making my ps3 my primary gaming system

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/K1cks.png <a href=
4:01 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 25

I dunno if the quizzed the righ people

I went through 4 in the first 2 years, and ihear others saying the same.

I don't want to call bias on that article, is the source trustworthy?

4:28 pm
Admin

square trade handles the warranties that go through them, so they'd know how many systems had to come in based off of certain errors (and, not surprisingly, the RROD is the most overwhelming of hardware failures of any console). Not sure what other companies handle warranties, but they would more than likely come up with the same conclusions, give or take maybe 5%.

heres the PDF pertaining to the whole study:

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_Xbo.....y_0809.pdf

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
4:35 pm
Members

Yeah I understand, but you gotta understand.

I own a Costco membership and they take back any defective console and give me a new one as long as I buy it from there.

That and, not everybody is going to go through to phones to return their xbox to be fixed.

6:28 pm
Admin

so is that a lifetime warranty or were they still under regular store warranty? In that case, Costco would be handling warranties, but not any repairs, which would then have to be reported by them. If the warranty isn't lifetime (or within store's warranty/return policy), the console has a 3 year manufacturer warranty (for RROD) and manufacturer warranties run through such companies as Square Trade due to outsourcing (which a lot of companies do). Technical support is the same way, the big companies have contracts with third parties to handle such cases. I couldn't do a store warranty on my first 360 because it was past the 30 day or whatever return policy, and I couldn't do manufacturer because it was past the one year warranty, but luckily, a month later, Microsoft expanded the warranty for RROD issues to three years, and I then went through that system as well within the next couple years. Since the 360s now use 65nm processing as opposed to 90, the systems don't overheat as much and RROD cases have slowed down quite a bit since last year. 1 in every 4 systems going bad seems perfectly realistic (also note, not all of the defects are caused by RROD) and that number really won't drop significantly until around late 2011, 3 years after the Jasper chipset came out (when both CPU and GPU were 65nm). Going through manufacturer, though, that's going to be long term replacement issues. Usually, if your system is going to brick, it's going to do so within the first month (even though mine took over a year, but my replacement bricked within a month), which is why most store return policies run between 30 and 90 days (of course, extended warranties from the retailer could go as much as 4 years in some cases, in which case, those won't necessarily deal with companies like Square Trade). Also take into account if the system was out of warranty, those won't be reported and the consumer would then have to purchase a new system outright.

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
9:18 pm
Members

Dang Jimmy you went all out, and yes it a lifetime warranty.

I knew of what you said already, its just the people that I do know don't even bother customer support and buy a new console altogether.

Please, i'm not trying to flame here, i'm just saying that the failure rate seem's a bit low.

10:33 pm
Admin

yeah I had 1 friend that I know of that had similar hardware failures like myself, but most of my other friends haven't had any problems. It could also be issues with certain manufacturing lines as well. Given the total number of consoles sold over time, 24% is still quite a significant failure rate. If 1 million are sold, that's 240,000 that are portentially defective (a HUGE number). Most people would contact manufacturer though, if the people you know don't within the 3 year warranty, then they're just throwing their money away lol. I had my 360 shipped out and had a replacement unit shipped back within like 3 weeks, which isn't bad, especially since they throw in a free month of Live. But, in any case, I wouldn't doubt that the overall failure rate between in-warranty and out of warranty consoles would be higher than even 35%, but the 24% is just for in-warranty through the manufacturer

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
5:12 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 20

I've heard the number is as high as 50% according to some folks.  And for the record out of my two consoles I've had my launch console red ring after 4 years of heavy use.  So that's fitting with the 50% stat I suppose.  But of my two PS3s, my launch PS3 made it just over one year before the USB plugs stopped working.  I consider that a pretty major failure, not as bad as a red ring... but definately something that keeps my PS3 from being too functional.  Obviously I can't just connect my PS3 controller now should the power die, and I can't assign a new controller to the console.  I also can't use the USB HDD I bought to use with the console or update with a thumb stick any more.  So yeah, that's a pretty big failed console. 

I'm really not sure what the big deal is about this issue any more.  It's an old story.  MS has pretty much fixed the consoles at this point it would seem and if you did have an issue with your console they'd cover you with a pretty extensive warranty.  And this coming from me, a guy who missed their warranty by a year and had to buy a new console.  I was glad too because my launch console sounded like a jet engine and had no HDMI... my new console is virutally silent.  My faulty PS3 on the other hand still sits in my entertainment center.  I called up Sony and first denied I had a problem and then told me they would fix it for $150.  Call me crazy but I'll take a higher failure rate that comes with a fairly no hassle return at no cost than a lower failure rate that means I have to pay out of my pocket to get it repaired.  After shelling out $600 for the console, I wasn't about to turn around and pay $150 more a year later.  Now the question is... do I shell out $300 for a slim and lose my backwards compatibility?  I'm trying to justify the purchase as "going green" due to the energy savings as well.

10:14 am
Admin

when it comes to "stepping up" to the Slim (in quotations due to it losing a couple features), I would really just take into consideration how much PS2 gaming you actually do. If you really don't play it that much, you could just move that to another TV for when you do. If all else fails, PS2s are pretty cheap, so you could have that set up next to the slim, but then you have to have wired controllers and memory cards. Or you can look ridiculous and have both systems connected to the same TV, one being used for PS2 gaming lol (but then, that wouldn't really help the going green process lol). You aren't really gaining anything going with the Slim (except for maybe hard drive size if you still have the original 60GB), so I'd still take into consideration the $150 just to get it repaired (though, a $300 Slim would potentially save you money in the long run). If you do get a Slim, see about getting an extended warranty (like a 4 year). It might cost about $100-$150 or so, but it's better than paying that price to get it fixed a year later anyway (and you would still have 3 years after that of coverage as well, so if the console fails, say, 4 times within a 4 year span, you saved $450).

I have a 40 inch Samsung TV that went bad a couple months after the warranty expired (which was last week lol). It was going to cost me about $300 to have Samsung tech fix it, but I opened the rear panel and found I had 2 blown capacitors, so I'm getting new ones in tomorrow and will be replacing them myself, costing me a mere $9 after shipping and materials lol

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
10:23 am
Members
Forum Posts: 20

Well we ended up getting a Slim as a gift.  So that decision was made for us.  And we LOVE it!  Not for any practical reasons but mostly because it's new and TINY.  It's also a big plus that it's free.  We ended up moving the old 60gb to the bedroom and are passing off our previous bedroom 40gig to the gift givers. 

A am still torn on the backwards compatibility.  I don't have a HUGE PS2 library I want to play.  It's basically two franchises.  Kingdom Hearts and God of War.  I play both of those often enough that I want backwards compatibiliy.  With the God of War compilation half of my worry is gone, and by moving it in the bedroom I still have the option to play Kingdom Hearts should I get the urge.  Other than those two series, I only have the Lunar remakes from the PS1 that I occasionally like to play every few years or so.  I love that series but I'm not that fond of the changes in the PS1 versions, so I'll probably stick to firing up the old SegaCD when that itch comes along.  What's weird about the backwards compatibility debates, is someone always suggests a PS2.  It makes me feel incredibly weird, I have a PS2!  I guess I'm the only PS2 owner who detests the idea of still leaving it connected when I've upgraded my console.  I feel like my PS3 would, should and could play these games and that I've moved on from the PS2 days.  Plus we have limited shelf space in the living room (HD Tivo, PS3, 360 and Wii all sharing three shelves).  I guess it's knowing that there's no practical reason I can't play my PS2 games on my PS3 that really irks me.  Sony's had trouble getting people to buy PS3 games and instead of focusing on and creating compelling titles for the library, they instead hinder backwards compatibility.  I guess these are the usual points, it's just bizarre to me.  When I bought my console at launch B/C was one of the bigger selling points that it had over MS and I feel somewhat betrayed now.  They sure didn't have a problem taking trash at the competition when they had better B/C, now that the tables have turned it's just a bit hard to swallow. 

But that's all besides the point.  Thanks for your input and thoughtful responses though!  And great job on fixing your TV.  That sort of stuff intimidates me way too much.  I did manage to find a "fix" for my 60gig PS3 along the same lines.  After doing a bit of investigation I found out that 1 1/2 of my USB ports still work.  The first port works most of the time, and the third port works about half the time.  What scared me is that plugging them in causes all sorts of horrible scraping noise and you can literally see the pins in there being mangled.  So I hopped on eBay and bought a USB hub for about $3.  I plugged it into the first port and it works, I figure as long as I don't unplug it I should be good for the life of the console!  And now I have four ports again.  It's not an ideal solution, now I have this ugly sparkly grey cable permanently sticking out of the front of my console... but saving $147 is worth that price!  Not quite as adventurous as your solution, but it made me feel proud!  lol  How'd your TV repair go?

1:29 pm
Admin

good point on the B/C deal. At least, at the beginning anyway, they had B/C available on the 60GB models. I still remember the cartidge days. You didn't have any built in B/C then lol. I'm sure a lot of people would have loved the SNES to play NES games 😛

also, TV repair went great, TV works wonderfully now, and even starts up faster than it used to. My new capacitors are 6,000 hour caps, so hopefully they'll last longer. There are a few more on the power board that could potentially go out, but until they start causing problems, I'm not too concerned about it. Whole repair took about 30 mins, including taking the rear panel off and removing the power supply, replacing the caps and putting it all back together

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
11:49 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 21

Actually Xbox 360 Failure Rate Reaches 54%

A new survey published in Game Informer\'s print edition indicates the Xbox 360 failure rate has climbed to a shocking 54.2%. The magazine surveyed nearly 5000 readers, asking them about their experience dealing with broken consoles.

Here are their findings:

Console failure rate

Xbox 360 – 54.2%
Playstation 3 – 10.6%
Wii – 6.8%

Percentage of console owners who suffered a second hardware failure after the original repair.

Xbox 360 – 41.2%
Playstation 3 – 14.7%
Wii – 11%

Percentage of people who rate their customer service experience \"very helpful\"

Nintendo – 56.1%
Sony – 51.1%
Microsoft – 37.7%

Percentage of respondents whose friends have had console hardware failures.

Xbox 360 – 69.9%
Playstation 3 – 12.4%
Wii – 6%

Source: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/101/1014486p1.html

9:49 am
Admin

thats just with 5000 people though. A warranty firm would have much higher numbers to work with, thus a better sample of the overall install base

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
10:26 am
Enthusiast
Members
Forum Posts: 189

New story: CNET UK: 60 percent of Xbox 360s have broken (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6240452.html?tag=late.....es;title;1)

It seems that there were only 2,500 Xbox's this time.

7:14 pm
USA, Florida
Members
Forum Posts: 22

Yeah, I saw that one a while ago Luke. If Microsoft wasn\'t so good at quickly fixing the 360s, a lot of people would get angry. Meh, people are angry as it is. I\'m lucky to have none of my systems ever fail.

8:42 pm
USA CA
Members
Forum Posts: 34

Thought it was PS3 - 11%
360-36-50%
My friends 360\'s all died.....lol

11:41 am
Members
Forum Posts: 12

I know that they say the box has a really high failure rate, which in all fairness it does haha :']

I spent the last 5 months (of it's life) trying to kill my 360 so I could get it fixed for free/replaced as my guarantee was running out soon ... in the end i just payed for a replacement device by braking the disk drive haha :']

I honestly think I might have had the only indestructible 360 around ... i even put water in it's vents :']

1:49 pm
Resident Nintendo Nutjob
Forum Posts: 816

One of the many reasons why I won't get a 360. Had a chance to buy one for $150 but passed since I like my consoles to work for a long time.

8:57 pm
Enthusiast
Members
Forum Posts: 229

I went through 6. They lasted about 60 days if that. My longest lasting one was one I did a case mod on with a overpowered fan and intake. They banned it so hence I sold it. My son has gone through 2. I no longer support Microsoft. I have had my ps3 for over a year and am loving it. I can also say that the reason thier sales are higher is because the average person simply gos out and buys a new one. Id say out of 50 friends 40 had modded systems and everytime they got banned ran out and bought another console. I have my atari jaguar, dreamcast and jaguar cd hooked up and they still run just fine and dandy.

If you poll your xbox friends Im sure every single one will respond with a "Yes my xbox has rrod before" The one my son is on now has lasted over a year but its simply because I dont let him game during school and during the summer he only spent close to 30hrs total on it.

My xbox that got banned for no reason [Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 349

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

oly: 608

wolfkin: 382

Eddie: 361