CAPTCHA Image

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

360 Wireless N Adapter
5:21 pm
Forum Posts: 20

I know it's long been mentioned on PS3 sites like these that the 360 is blatantly ripping off it's customers with thing like the incredibly expensive HDD and wifi adapter.  It's also something I agree with 100%.  It's hard to imagine how a wireless G adapter can cost $100 at this point.  With Sony's recent price drop this issue was becoming increasingly relevant.  As a customer of any and all consoles I really wanted to see a price drop, or some other move on Microsoft's part. 

http://feeds.joystiq.com/~r/weblogsinc/joystiq/~3/…..f4u0r_XK8/

Now suddenly the gimmick of expensive add-ons isn't that hard to swallow.  Maybe it's because I just upgraded my setup to a wireless N router, but this seems like a good move to me.  Suddenly I was reminded why I didn't always want everything built into the system to begin with.  This is still no excuse for the price, but it is another adapter I'm probably going to end up buying.  Hopefully it doesn't end up being $150… or even $200.

10:35 am
Admin
Forum Posts: 536

since wireless N isn't a (whats the word I'm looking for here, I want to say standardized) wireless type (when I worked for 2wire, they told us their modems don't use wireless N because of that) unless, since then, that's changed, it might potentially cost a bit more (especially since the adapter has 2 antennas). When it does become standardized, like B and G, I think concoles should include capabilities for it (like a new Slim model in the future where it has wireless built in that can use N). As far as this goes, maybe it will become a replacement for the current one, and retain the ridiculous $100 price point? And if that's the case, is it able to use B, G and N?

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
10:40 am
Admin
Forum Posts: 536

nevermind, I should have read the whole thing lol. So it is standardized now, which is really cool. Hopefully a PS3 Slim model in the future will include N capabilities. If not, the PS3 might still be able to use an aftermarket adapter anyway. Currently, that doesn't bother me since I dont even ahve a wireless N router lol. If I did, I'd consider purchasing an adapter for the PS3, but I use my wired connection (when my wired modem decides to work lol)

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
10:01 am
Forum Posts: 20

Yeah, it's a fairly recent thing.  I guess N just got all wrapped up.  It's weird but there's part of me that just likes upgrading things!  Everytime I get a new piece of hardware I always want to run around and make sure everything is working properly with it, even though in most cases I don't need to and won't ever notice any difference.  I think this is just one of those times.  There's always one piece of technology that brings me down.  It's taken three wifi routers before I finally could get my DS online.  It's always a bummer to have to enable B to give my PSP access.  I guess it's the downside to me to building all this stuff in there.  I suppose that you're right, there is always the option of an adapter.  I just hope Sony puts out an "official" adapter that might not look obnoxious dangling out the front of my console. 

And don't suggest an updated slim!  If they add it now I'll get the urge to toss mine out the window.  We just upgraded (another thing I couldn't resist upgrading).  I'm not sure if the MS adapter will run in G or B when it comes out.  I'd imagine it would, but it's not something I consider.  Since they're going to release it along side the current G model I'd imagine the upgrade would be intended only for those with N networks already.  And I sincerely hope it doesn't keep that insane pricepoint.  My worst fear is that the G will say $100, but the N will retail for $130-150 or something CRAZY like that.  After they've gotten away with charing outlandish prices for so long, I'm sure they know that idiots like me will line up for it. 

Forum Timezone: America/Denver

Most Users Ever Online: 349

Currently Online:
18 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

EdEN: 816

oly: 608

wolfkin: 382

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 189

Members: 15865

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 23

Topics: 992

Newest Members: solariz

Administrators: Tosh (979), Jay (536), Tosh (56)