Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

CAPTCHA Image

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_TopicIcon
First Kinect Reviews
12:51 pm
The Grid
Admin
Forum Posts: 979
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Master NeoGAF Kinect Review Topic

Engadget – Kinect for Xbox 360 review

Skip to the 6 min mark for some good stuff. Watch the racing part as well.

Joystiq – Kinect Review

room.for.kinect.110410-580px.png

My conclusion: the frames of the glasses I wear on a daily basis are too reflective for the Kinect sensor to handle, basically bringing the system to its knees.

For all the talk of revolutionizing the Xbox 360 experience and making gaming more natural/ accessible, it's bordering on absurd how broken Kinect is when it comes to something as simple as working in your home. I find the technology itself fascinating, but the fact that I know a lot of people who simply won't get Kinect to work in their rooms beyond troubling. Given that Microsoft conducted a beta program with actual consumers, this issue is doubly surprising, but it could just be that Kinect just works that way (or doesn't, given your room) and there's no way short of redesigning the sensor to fix it.

If Kinect does work for you, congratulations: you have what amounts — for now — to a novelty peripheral that is in no way geared towards the day-one buyer or "core" gamer. Microsoft conceived a potential game-changer with Project Natal, it just seems like Kinect was born prematurely.

MTV – Kinect Review – Is It Worth Your $150?

3:26 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 64

anyone here have a kinect? what do you think?

3:42 pm
Resident Nintendo Nutjob
Forum Posts: 816

My room does not look like that and I don't intend to ever purchase a 360 so I'll be skipping Kinect.

4:01 pm
Resident Nintendo Nutjob

This are the reviews from Joystiq.com for the Kinect launch lineup:

Sonic Free Riders (1/5)

Dance Central (4/5)

Your Shape Fitness Evolved (3/5)

Kinectimals (4/5)

Kinect Joy Ride (2.5/5)

Kinect Sports (4/5)

Anyone here actually own a 360 and Kinect?

6:31 pm
Bear,DE
Guru
Members
Forum Posts: 361

Metacritic Scores so far. As with most averages, they normally trend downward so these are the highest you will see these at probably.

Kinect Adventures – 66
Kinect Sports – 77
Dance Central – 84
Sonic Free Riders – 59
Kinectimals – 77
Joy Ride – 56
Your Shape – 69
Adrenalin Misfits – 50
Fighters Uncaged - 39

7:03 pm
Admin
Forum Posts: 536

an average of about 64/100 then

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
11:07 am
Resident Nintendo Nutjob

It's funny how Sports Champions and Kinect Sporst are scooring higher than Wii Sports since now "journalist" are on board with the whole "motion controls for our gamez".

7:50 am
Bear,DE
Guru
Members
Forum Posts: 361

I'd rank Sports Championship higher too and I'm most definately not on board with motion gaming.

9:30 am
Resident Nintendo Nutjob

What are the numbers you see Sony and Microsoft posting at the end of the year for Move and Kinect sales?

1:10 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 99

I have a Kinect, but only because I bought several in order to sell them at a profit and pay for mine :)

It isn't bad, but works better for my kids because they're shorter. I only have about 6' or so from sensor to where my legs hit the back of the couch and it works for Kinect Adventures as long as I don't step forward or jump.

I was actually getting read to re-arrange my family room so that my wife could use her copy of Get Fit with Mel B. and increase the distance to about 8' so that she didn't kick the tv or hit the pull chains on our fan.

The move is definitely better in tight spots and poor lighting conditions. It is really about the kids for me though as the Kinect is most definitely not for the hardcore person (unless you consider Dance Central hardcore)

I'll try to post more once I have time to use it more. I do think that MS shouldn't have cut out the hardware processing to allow it to respond quicker, but it works

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/K1cks.png <a href=
9:39 am
Resident Nintendo Nutjob

Good to know someone over here at PS3Blog won the copy of the Mel B game from the link that Oly posted. I've owned a Wii since launch so Move is an easier sell for me once the games are there. Kinect on the other hand has to convince me to buy a 360 (which I won't do because of the high failure rate, having to pay for Live and Microsofts bad, bad customer service) AND spend over $150 on a camera that sorta works when the planets align.

9:46 am
Members
Forum Posts: 99

I'd like to add to EdEN's bad customer service post by saying I've received bad customer service from Sony more than I have from Microsoft. I'm still miffed about permanently losing two slots of my psn activation.

My room has been officially re-arranged, but I have not broken out any games since doing so because I've just been so tired. The kids have a tendency to wake up in the middle of the night for a myriad of reasons and my sleep gets interrupted :(

Both of my kids love Kinect Adventures and I like it from the aspect that it wears them out 😉

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/K1cks.png <a href=
9:53 am
Resident Nintendo Nutjob

I saw a demo for Kinect Adventures set up at the mall and the kids were going crazy for it... until it stopped responding to them and they jumped and jumped and their avatar just stood there...

11:10 am
The Grid
Admin
Forum Posts: 979

lol, wish I could have seen that.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 349

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)