CAPTCHA Image

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Anyone into hot rods/car customization?
5:49 pm
Admin
Forum Posts: 536

I am, but I don't have the money to actually get into it lol. I have a 1970 Chevy C10 that, after I get another, more economic, car, is going to be a project vehicle for me. Here's a pic of it:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

IMO, it already looks good, but there's a LOT I want to do with it. For starters, all the badges and molding on the side I want removed, get some shaved door handles (or something resembling the old Mopar handles, chrome and flush with the body), recess the side markers (and get more modern styling on those as well). I also want more hot rod-inspired side mirrors, shaved off drip rail on the roof so that's smoother, a new billet aluminum grille. I also want thinner tires up front and a more modern suspension made for cornering (it's already got mostly new suspension parts and I can take sharp corners without any rolling as it is, but I want a tighter turn radius).

Get a 5 bolt pattern on the wheel (currently, it's 6 bolt and there arent any drag rims for those). I also want to tub out the rear wheels and get like 15-17 inch tread on there with a Ford 9\" rear end. Runner lights on the top I'll get working again with clear lenses and chrome plated bulbs (they glow amber when turned on, but can't tell when they're off). I'd also like a smooth tailgate as well.

As far as the bed goes, I want to replace the steel floor with wood paneling and chrome slats in between. I also will need to build support beams going from the cab to the bed to reduce frame and bed twisting (because of what I have planned with the engine itself). As for engine and drive train, I currently have a 350ci and a TH350 3 speed automatic. I want to drop either a 427 or a 572 big block in there and a 6 speed tranny (if I go with 427, I might get it supercharged and fuel injected. The 572 I'll keep naturally aspirated but undecided on carbureted or FI). I want the truck to be streetable, as well as hold its own on the track.

As far as the interior goes, It's going to be mostly gunmetal grey and black with red details. I'd like to keep my bench seat, my might wind up opting for bucket seats. I will need to relocate my gas tank (currently, it's right behind the driver's seat) and fuse the bed with the cab and create a subwoofer and amp enclosure that's welded to the bed (theres very limited room inside the cab) and facing inside the cab. I will also create a gas tank that is built around the subwoofer enclosure, with a chrome filler being mounted on top. Bottom of it will be angled so gas will flow to the center where I will have my gas pickup mounted (angles will robably be pretty steep so I can still get good gas feed when taking sharp corners while still running low). I want the interior to look more like modern interiors, so it'll be really nice, with the colors listed above. It will have custom seats and everything. Dash will be completely redone and modernized as well. Not sure if I'll go digital or not on the gauges though.

As far as paint job goes… I'm still undecided on that. When I mentioned gunmetal grey, I meant the color used on the MGS4 PS3s FYI. I would probably have that as my top color, and my bottom color (which will start at aboutthe top of the headlight level) would be black. I would seperate the two with a darker red, with a line about 3 inches thick or so (but not straight, kind of wavy, with a couple hook off-shoots). For overall look, I will keep my front end at the heght it's at now, but lower the rear a couple inches or so. I also want my exhaust to come out the side either in front or behind the rear tires.

I want the truck to look, sound, and perform like a monster, but handle more along the lines of today's performance cars. I will keep things like bumpers, grilles, and stuff like that chrome, but it will all be really smooth. For added measure, since the truck is so wide, I want to get lambo-style door hinges so I can more easily get out of tight parking spots. BTW, rims will probably look like professional drag rims.

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
5:53 pm
Admin

almost forgot, there wont be any Chevy badges either. So no bow tie on the hood. Only thing that will say Chevy would be the lettering across the grille shell. My hood will be different anyway, will probably go with an air scoop or 3.5″ cowl induction. Here's what I want my grille to look like:

[Image Can Not Be Found]

JimmyMagnum Trophy Card
5:58 pm
Admin
Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 349

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

EdEN: 816

oly: 608

wolfkin: 382

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 196

Members: 15880

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 23

Topics: 1000

Newest Members: Onlyhit

Administrators: Tosh (979), Jay (536), Tosh (56)