Please consider registering

CAPTCHA Image

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Dragon Age 2 Glitches and Gameplay
7:40 am
Bear,DE
Guru
Members
Forum Posts: 361

Ok...this game is glitched to hell....

So I start the game and darkspawn come running at me....WITH NO BODIES! Just a bunch of heads and arms with swords flying through the air after me. Both in the between battle scenes and fighting them. so I get to the next area to see if it loads and fixes itself and nope it doesn't. So I save my game and turn my PS3 off...try to resume where I left off and I get stuck in an infinite loading screen.

I jump on the support forums and see people having the same problems (minus the bodyless glitch) so I try to log in using my EA account to which it denies me saying the info is wrong...even though I'm logged into the same EA account on Dragon Age 2 connected to their servers.....I eventually get frustrated and go back to the PS3. I delete the install (which took 30 minutes) and re-install it (another 30 minutes)...now it works mostly....

Glitches aside....let me mention I'm having a great time with the game first....with that said....It really is a watered down version of DA isn't it? Its very user friendly it seams and maybe much easier? I just feel like its catering to a less...(involved?) crowd.

I mean making decisions is all cut and dry now. It even tells you the good/bad/neutral and I've yet to come to a part where I can notice your choice makes any difference at all.

If you buy the game, you get an extra party member, the Mabari warhound and it doesn't take a party member slot...so he is just extra damage for no reason.

No gifts? why? I loved that.

Talking to your party members does nothing so far. In DA you had to talk to party members to unlock question tree's to increase their liking of you and to find out more story. Now they just utter a single line and move on.

So far its very linear. I've never came to a fork in the road yet.

Enchantments at the very beginning of the game?

keep in mind i'm way early in the game. Only a few hours in...but still. While I'm enjoying myself a lot and loving the game...these things stick out big time to me.

8:15 am
Guru
Members
Forum Posts: 292

You're not very lucky with glitches are you Eddie?

I've read the reviews and feedback seems to be: "a good game, but not as good as DA:O".

I'm tracking it down as we "speak" and I'll be denitely be picking it up as soon as I can. Hope I won't come across the same issues!

8:39 am
Members
Forum Posts: 64

Weak! Sorry about all your troubles, Eddie. frown The game is supposed to arrive in the mail today, and I'm concerned now that I've heard your tales of woe. I checked out the Bioware forum for PS3 tech support, and there's just a laundry list of problems that people have been experiencing. I will say, though, that Bioware has a good record for solving technical problems speedily, at least in my book. So I expect that they'll get things sorted out soon, though patches have to be approved by Sony before being released, which dramatically slows their release. Still, I'm pissed that studios are so lazy that they sometimes push crap out the door these days, relying on the patching system to cover for inadaquate beta testing. Some people don't have internet connections, and moreover no one wants to stick a bugged $60 drink coaster in the drive.

9:05 am
Bear,DE
Guru
Members

premiersoupir said:

I will say, though, that Bioware has a good record for solving technical problems speedily, at least in my book..

You don't recall an entire month where DA:O was unplayable for many PS3 owners waiting on a patch?

While I'm having fun…even eager to play the game…its a mere shadow of what it was…very dumbed down for the casual crowd and that upsets me.

9:11 am
Members

Eddie said:

You don't recall an entire month where DA:O was unplayable for many PS3 owners waiting on a patch?

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I had forgotten that, as I'd beaten the game by the time that happened, so the bug didn't affect me. But y'know, as I recall, that wasn't entirely Bioware's fault, except perhaps for the tardiness of their fix. Sony's FW update broke the game, and it may, in fact, have been the update that killed OtherOS in Sony's knee-jerk Geohot panic. That must have been an update that made some pretty profound low-level changes to the system. Anyway, the game had worked fine out of the box.

Oh, and you're talk of dumbing down the game is making me sad, too. Some of the reviews allude to this fact, but don't really expand on it (they say things like you can't change companions' armour). So it's nice to hear your perspectie on it, if depressing. Also reviewers say the game clocks in at 30 hrs. WTF? I spent 60+ hours on DAO. People in the fora were already griping about the possibility of a shorter game when Bioware announced that the PC version would require a 6 Gb install, compared to something like a 15 Gb install for the original DAO.

9:45 am
Bear,DE
Guru
Members

yea no changing their armor...wtf is that shit?

and 30 hours is bare minimum that I'm ok with for an RPG. Anything below and its an instant no purchase for me.

either way...I'm upset at the general direction and it seems I'm not alone from my musings around on the net.

9:57 am
Guru
Members

Even tough I haven't played the game (not even beta) I think I can say I'm not overly excited by the many changes.

But specially combat. I really love strategic combat, I'm a RPG fan, having played most of the classic PC titles like, Baldurs Gate, Ice Wind Dale and Neverwinter Nigths many times. I understand it being dumbed down a little bit (since the first game was pretty hardcore, specially on PC), but from what I hear, it's now very simple and easy except on Nightmare difficult, wich is almost impossible.

Another thing that was disappointing was the inventory streamlining. I particularly love inventory and loot managing... sure, sometimes it sucks when you have a enormous crew and you have to check one by one if they can use one particular item, but anyway it's fun and cool to have all these many cool looking pieces of equipment and assign them to whomever you want.

Another change that I'm not too happy is the fact the whole game is set in just one location and over 10 years in time, bascially that reads: "no open world and little exploration" and that is one of the major reasons RPG games rule.

I understand all these changes focusing a more casual crowd but man and at that it'll probably be a succes, but it's sure a bummer for those who really loved the first one.

However, even after all that, I'm still looking forward to playing this game. What can I say, I'm a huge DA:O fan! I hope after this I can say I'm a huge Dragon Age fan. But only time will tell.

1:27 pm
Members

Goods news on my end: Got the game, installed, and seems to be working flawlessly. Only played for a bit. Just met Flemeth (so I'm like half-way through what had been presented in the demo), but I'm optimistic that things are working. No headless Hurlocks or whatever, no freezes at character creations, etc. Anyway, must run, but I'm looking forward to continuing later!

12:13 am
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 40

I haven't seen any glitches yet. The image kind of "stutters" right before entering combat and right before cut scenes. But we had that same problem in DA:O. I've heard of the infinite XP/Gold bug. I don't plan on taking advantage of this bug because I know it will ruin my gaming experience. I'm also fairly certain that enemies scale to your level so you can only really take advantage of the infinite Gold. Here is a video, just in case you're curious and you feel like wasting 60$ in exchange for console currency! 😛

It is user friendly! And that's awesome because the DA:O menus were ugly and awkward imo.

The dialogue options are VERY similar to those of ME2. Which is an improvement (imo) over DA:O's seemingly never ending dialogue options. But it's hard to tell if the choices you make impact the game. It either doesn't at all or I'm going to have to play it through a second time as an evil mofo just to see the differences. My character atm is super good guy hero who is occassionally firm and occassionally makes the smart as$ comment. Hard to tell if I would of made different choices, what the impact would of been.

No gifts? Why! I loved that too! >< It looks like a few characters will only really like me later in the game. This loyalty opens up certain abilities for your companions.

I love having the Mabari, I named him Bronx, after my dead dog. I know, I know... I'm cliche! But I wish the game took into account the extra damage that he provides and upped the difficulty of enemy encounters. Not sure if it does... But with Bronx by my side combat does seem easier.

It's worth noting that you can speak to your party members but you have to do so in their "home base".

No changing your companions armor? Wtf lol... I agree that DA:O had a pain in the ass inventory system. They could of fixed it or modified it. Less upgardes/drops in general. Maybe less armor slots. Something else besides completely removing gearing your companions. At first I didn't even catch it... But then I saw that almost every item specifies that it's restricted to Markus Hawke -.-

The game has been modified a bit, so that the casual gamer can get into it (in particular combat and story). Here are some comparisons from DA:O and DA2:

Dragon Age: Origins
1,000,000 Words
1,000 Cinematics
1,000 Characters
56,000 Spoken Lines
60 Hours of Gameplay

Dragon Age II
400,000 Words
2,500 Cinematics
500 Characters
38,000 Spoken Lines
40 Hours of Gameplay

Were they trying to improve on the game or trying to cash in on DA:O's success? Hard to say. It just seems like it slim pickings for RPG fans. I want to play my RPGs on a big screen and not only on my portable devices! 20 less hours of game play makes me a sad panda but I'm still enjoying the game. I think about the game a lot and I can't seem to put it down lol... So I guess I'm enjoying it. No full, open world maps to explore; sucks. I often find myself yearning for combat!! I want to fight! I wish I could cast my AoEs even when I'm not in combat. The first year of my characters life... I didn't even get to play! /ed lover voice C'mon son!

And now, I'm off to play!

ninja

6:03 am
Guru
Members

Interesting comparison.

It's a very strange fact that they would have more cinematics yet, a lot less conversation. But pretty interesting indeed.

Makes us think about what kind of game is this for sure.

7:25 am
Members

Markus said:

Here are some comparisons from DA:O and DA2...

Fascinating stats. Would you mind sharing your source?

8:06 am
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 40

It's probably worth noting that my tastes tend to differ from that of the general public. Tons of people seem to agree with Eddie. On the other hand we always hear the complaining voice louder than the voices that praise. Especially on the internet. I have to say that so far, I'm still (18% trophies, ~10 hours in) enjoying the game.

Here's my source

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/84352/gdc-2011-.....cinematic/

Copy and pasted from the above link.

"During a presentation on localization, BioWare localization
representative Ian Mitchell showed some stats involving the amount of
content in Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II. The
information gave some surprising insight into the scope of the sequel
versus its predecessor. This information is undoubtedly rounded, but
some key stats are:

Dragon Age: Origins 
1,000,000 Words
1,000 Cinematics
1,000 Characters
56,000 Spoken Lines 
60 Hours of Gameplay

Dragon Age II
400,000 Words
2,500 Cinematics
500 Characters
38,000 Spoken Lines
40 Hours of Gameplay

This is a pretty shocking change, as it shows some pretty significant
changes in developmental priority. The fewer spoken lines is especially
odd, especially with the now fully voice-acted main character, which
under normal circumstances would have signifficantly increased the
amount of spoken dialog. Are you happy with the new focus of Dragon Age II, or would you have preferred something closer to the original game?"

10:54 am
Enthusiast
Members
Forum Posts: 229

My buddy told me this last night and I was not surprised. I felt the game came out way to early for what it sets out to be. Thanks for the confirmation. I expect glitch's from such an exspansive game that probably needed another 8 months.

11:37 am
Members

In case anyone cares at all about my impressions thus far (I'm certainly not through with the game!), I reproduce an email that I sent to friends the other day. Warning: Minor spoilers follow.

I must say that I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. I shouldn't really
complain -- it's a lot of fun. Graphics are improved, combat is really
fast and fluid with cool cross-class bonuses to unlock and to plan
strategy around. Improved tactics handling, with new triggers that work
well with the cross-class stuff (like if enemy is staggered, then do
some special ability that does extra damage to staggered enemy). And
it's great to be back in the world of DA. I also quite like the redesign
of the elves and qunari. Elves really look like "blade ears" now (you
may recall the human racial slur for the elves), and the Qunari thank
god have moved away from the stoic Indian brave crap -- redesign helps
this quite a bit.

Some complaints, though:

1. Story just isn't nearly as engaging
as the first -- and this results at least in part from the lack of
origin myths. You're just sort of thrown into the action, then you have
to go to some city for no particular reason, then you have to go on an
expedition with no rationale, and you need to collect a lot of money in
order to go (who cares why), so then you wander around doing odd jobs to
gather the necessary cash. There's just no sense of direction, like in
the first, which was pretty clearly mapped out and rather engaging: I
need to escape from Ostagar, then I need to recruit all these various
factions, then I need to deal with that damn traitor Loghain, and
finally I'll be able to tackle the archdemon and end this damn Blight.

2. I'm actually kind of pissed about the Mass Effect dialogue wheel
now. In the first game, it's not always totally clear which dialogue
options are "good" or how people will react to what you're saying. Or
the player has to do more work and really consider what one knows about
Wynne, let's say, and how she'll fell about what you're saying. In this
game, it's totally self-evident as the little icons essentially tell you
what the effects are of everything you say. It takes quite a bit of the
role-playing out of the game when, if you want to be "good," you know
that you always need to select the text that has either the angelic halo
icon or the nature icon by it -- doesn't matter what the text actually
says. And another thing: The little text blurb isn't always an
especially good synopsis of what your character will say when you select
the blurb. ME2 was much better at this paraphrasing.

3. INVENTORY! Oh my god, this is the major thing that was dumbed
down, and it makes me sad. You can't change the armor (or gloves, boots,
etc.) for your companions. It's stupid. So I'm a mage, which means that
any armor at all that I find is totally useless. No point in even
reading about it, as I'm just going to sell it. You can equip companions
with weapons and trinkets: amulet, belt, rings. You can "upgrade"
friends' armor through loyalty quests and by buying stuff at shops.
That's a bit of a pain, too, as there are a ton of shops in different
parts of Kirkwall, and I can't be bothered to keep them straight. (And
the Wiki hasn't been updated with much of any DA2 stuff yet.)

4. Crafting/Herbalism/Poisonmaking: There're no longer skill
trees for these things, and instead of collecting herbs and so on in
your travels, you find "sources" of deathweed and whatever. The more
sources you find, the more complicated potions and so on you can have
someone in town craft for you. I feel rather indifferent about this
change -- I see that it frees up the inventory more, and it kills skill
trees that I never much cared about anyway, but it also makes me less
invested in the crafting aspect of the game.

5. Quests are so far pretty short and self-contained. Even when the
quest sends you to a new dungeon, it can be cleared in five or ten
minutes or whatever. Plus, most of the quests are silly things that
follow the same model every time: When in a dungeon, you find in a crate
some trinket that's marked as a quest item. Then when you return to
Kirkwall, the person who wants the trinket back is marked on your map,
so you go hand it to her, and you get your cash and xp. Also, concerning
the brevity of quests, I must say that Normal is really, really easy in
this game. I'd recommend jacking up the difficulty to Hard from the
outset. The problem is that in Hard AOE attacks damage allies, and I'm
already building a mage with serious AOE elemental attack spells, so
Hard is too annoying to play just because I'm in danger of killing my
own cats. Or the AI is in danger of killing me with Hail of Arrows or
whatever -- and I'm not patient enough to micromanage every second of
battle. So if I'd known I'd want to play on a harder difficulty, I think
I would have built a totally different mage and gone more the Horror
route. Well, if I play through again, I'll be a warrior and jack up the
difficulty.

6. Companions aren't as compelling. Anders is back from Awakening,
which is cool, I guess, though he's kind of annoying. The elven mage
woman says things that are kind of cute. I dunno -- haven't met the
pirate chick from the demo yet in-game -- maybe she'll be an awesome
character. May well be others that I haven't met. The dwarf bard
certainly isn't a "character" like Oghren. Oghren annoyed me, but he was
certainly memorable. Anyway, no one seems as compelling as Leliana,
Morrigan, Wynne, Shale. Alistair, for that matter. Good characters, and
even if I didn't like some of them, they certainly have personality.

Anyway, that's a lot of rambling. I have a lot of complaints, but I
should emphasize that I'm enjoying playing the game. It's fun on the
whole, and I love the lore -- chatting with a reverend mother about
Andraste and knowing what the hell is going on, learning more about the
Quanri code (Qun), and learning about this new city. My main complaint, I
suppose, is that whereas I'd expected the sequel to be a richer text
with more options, like more skills and so on, I feel like
everything's been simplified instead: skill tree, inventory, crafting.
And world just seems smaller -- it looks like I'm more or less going to
be chilling in Kirkwall for the whole game, with frequent but brief
excursions to satellite dungeons for particular quests. But I'm still in
year 1, though I've put about seventeen hours into the game so far, so
I've got nine years left -- maybe things will improve dramatically. IGN
said 30 hours to beat the game, while the above statistics claim 40. I'm
feeling more confident that I'll end up playing more like 40 hours,
given the amount of time I've put in so far. Better believe I'm doing
every damn side quest!

1:03 pm
Guru
Members
Well I'm happy to inform I haven't encountered any of these bugs so far as well.
I agree with premiersoupir about most of the things he said about the game. I'm still a bit early (About 6-7 hours in) still on the 1st charpter so I right now I'll hold my criticism for latter.
One thing I'm kind of disappointed tough is combat. It does look and feel better, but it's terrible to tactically play it as you could in the first one. The fact that when a char is selected you have to press x to attack is annoying, because it makes managing your party insane. Playing on hard, another thing that really annoyed me were the infinite hordes of enemies, I really don't remember that in Origins. You start out a fight, and if your party member move too far they'll trigger the next wave of never ending enemies, many of those are way smarter than mine AI. It kind of pissed me a little bit.
Anyway I'll continue playing and I'll give more feedback latter on.
Btw I AM enjoying the game a lot, don't be confused.
4:20 am
Bear,DE
Guru
Members

I beat the game..29 hours. I enjoyed it but the game is so dumbed down, so casualized its silly. Pure greed of the dev knowing that people would buy it due to the acclaim from the first one and then having dlc read day 1? yea I'm not buying any dlc.

9:03 am
Members

Eddie said:

I beat the game..29 hours. I enjoyed it but the game is so dumbed down, so casualized its silly. Pure greed of the dev knowing that people would buy it due to the acclaim from the first one and then having dlc read day 1? yea I'm not buying any dlc.

Yeah, I was pissed about the extra character not being included, unless, I guess, one had preordered a long time ago. 29 hours, huh? I'm at 24, and I'm still somewhere in act 2. but I'm obsessively doing every possible side quest, looking for all the enigmae of kirkwall for the trophy, trying to complete vestiment sets, etc. I'm going to get my $60's worth out of this title! I'm hopeing for at least 40 hrs.
10:11 am
Bear,DE
Guru
Members

I did every quest and searched damn near every nook and cranny. I did miss a few things but still ended up with over 60% of the trophies I believe. The majority of what remains is mostly the platinum however.

High Dragon was a joke.

8:26 am
Guru
Members

So I finished the game last weekend, clocked 42h.

Finished every quest except one that was tied to to "no return" area and when I got in, I couldn't get out.

In that time I only had one freeze, and two minor scripting bugs, did one thing, and latter on the game said I did another, but nothing major and connected to side quests.

I enjoyed the experience, but it's nowhere near the first game. I'm now in my 2nd platrough, wich will take about 20 hours I guess, based on where I'm right now and the time it took for me to get there. The game is certainly easy, give or take a few parts. Platinum will be fun, I want to know what are the consequences of doing everything the oposite way.

But in the end, it does feel like the game was rushed (way too short, way too simplified) and it's just an apetizer for yet another entry to the franchise.

Third game possibilities seem very exciting, taking the final events of the game, but I really hope the next title reminds me of the first one rather than this.

9:53 am
Members

Finally wrapped it up. 43 hours. I feel that I got my money's worth. All of my above complaints still hold true. I also ran across another bug, whereby about four boss enemies didn't do aynthing at all -- they'd just stand there and take it. I don't remember all of the bosses affected, but certainly the varterral, one of the horrors summoned through the scrolls in the act 3 sidequest, and also Hybris (the final demon from that quest). I tried reloading my games, but to no avail. For some of the bosses, when their health had been knocked down enough, that would trigger a transformation or new ability that the boss could use, and then the enemy would "wake up" -- but he'd already be half dead, so it'd really only be half a fight. Anyway, thank god the high dragon as well as the series of end-game bosses all did their thing properly.

@Pedro -- I'm not sure that there's all that much that can be done "the opposite way." You could pick up the trophy for siding with a different guild at the beginning of the game (smugglers/mercenaries), but that doesn't have much effect later. You could make the big choice of who to side with at the very end differently, but I would hazard that the outcome would be essentially similar. I'm with Markus back up in post #9: "it's hard to tell if the choices you make impact the game. It either
doesn't at all or I'm going to have to play it through a second time as
an evil mofo just to see the differences." I don't think it makes much difference, certainly not in the way the big decisions made a difference in DA:O. Do you side with the templars or the chantry? Do you side with the elves or the werewolves? No choice was ever unproblematically black and white, and each choice made a profound difference in the world of Thedas.

Fun game on the whole, though. And my mage felt like a friggin' badass by the end of the game, tossin' people around, slamming 'em down, calling down firestorms. But as we all seem to agree, DA2 just didn't reach the high bar set by DA:O.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 349

Currently Online:
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

oly: 608

wolfkin: 382

Eddie: 361

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 188