Posts Tagged Firmware
Alright, so last night, Sony simultaneously released System Software 3.40, as well as the PlayStation Plus service. Some people have jumped on board, some are on the fence about it, and others don’t plan on getting it. Well, I was one of the first. Using the $20 gift card I won, and a credit card, I purchased PlayStation Plus, 15 months for $30 ($50 if you didn’t win one). With a price tag like that, many question whether the value outweighs the price, etc, etc. This is going to vary from person to person, but here’s my take on it.
…And the PSP will be getting system update v6.3, to add PS+ compatibility to that as well. Here’s the list of some of the changes:
- PlayStation Plus: PlayStation Network users will be able to purchase membership to PlayStation Plus; a new subscription service on the PlayStation Network that provides you with new options to expand and enhance your gaming experience and enable you to gain an exclusive set of features and content. Friendly reminder, all of you PlayStation Network users will continue to have free access to PlayStation Network’s unmatched and expanding suite of new and exclusive features while PlayStation Plus subscribers will gain access to an exclusive and expanding set of gaming features, content and functionality.
- Photo Gallery: A new network based photo sharing feature is now available on the Photo Gallery. The enhancement allows you to upload, browse and comment on photos on Facebook and Picasa Web Album. You can also opt to share your photos between your PlayStation Network friends as well as print photos from Photo Gallery.
- Video Editor & Uploader: Video Editor and Uploader is a new function found on the XrossMediaBar (XMB), which enables you to edit, save and upload video files stored on the PS3 system to sites such as Facebook or YouTube.
- Five Star Rating Support: Users can rate the PlayStation Store content they have purchased with one to five star ratings.
- Power Save Settings: The default setting for PS3 System Auto-Off will be set at 2 hours, providing you with additional power save options and further improving power save features on the PS3 system.
Now, there are a couple really cool features there. The photo sharing will be nice, but the Video Editor? Are you kidding me? This is going to open up a lot of doors for cool stuff, especially since you can upload directly to YouTube from the XMB! And one thing taken from Live, the ability to rate things on a 5 star scale in the store. Something I thought was a nice touch on Live.
The Facebook integration has also been updated quite a bit, with a new PlayStation application. Here’s what they posted on the Official Blog:
The application allows you to display your PlayStation Network profile on your Facebook account, find out which of your Facebook friends have a PSN account and send them a PlayStation Network friend request, view your PSN friends’ online status and add the PlayStation Network application tab to your Facebook user profile.
This is a really cool feature if you use Facebook a lot like I do. Compared to the past few system updates, this one actually has a lot more going for it. I wonder how many hidden updates there will be?
Let’s face it – it can be pretty annoying when you fire your game up and it says you have to download a patch before you can proceed. A lot of patches aren’t exactly quick downloads, especially if you’re itching to go on and play whatever it is you’re hooked on. Good news. Sony might be working on that little inconvenience by letting you download the patch in the background while you go and play.
Sony has released an update which will be adding a few new features to the PlayStation 3 (PS3) via the latest system software update, which is a mandatory update and will be available shortly. Basically there is a new sorting method for the trophies, which is supposed to be more efficient.
- Trophy enhancements –- Now you can more easily sort trophies in the [Trophy Collection] and [Comparing Trophy] sections. Sorting can be done with [Trophy Collection] in the [Game Category] and also when comparing trophies with your friends in the [Friend Category]
- Trophy Folder (Title List) can be sorted by game name/ by title according to the date in which you earned your last trophy (ascending/descending)
- Add-on list (Group list) can be sorted by original/the date in which you earned your last trophy (ascending/descending)
- Trophy list can be sorted by original/trophy name/grade/date of obtaining the trophy (ascending/descending)
In addition, this update preps the PS3 system for some upcoming new features, including 3D stereoscopic gaming, which is coming soon to PS3, in time for the launch of Sony’s 3D BRAVIA TVs.