Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PS3Blog.net | May 18, 2021

Scroll to top

Top

13 Comments

Sony Defends PS3 Pad & Claims Market Share Is Irrelevant

PS3Firstly SCEE President & CEO David Reeves defends Sony’s use of motion-sensing in it’s joypads:

“It’s been planned for around two and a half years. If you have a device that includes 50 or 55 patents, you can’t reveal it, as someone will try to file a patent to stop it. We have already had some positive feedback on it from publishers.”

Whatever. I’ve had enough of this rubbish about whether Sony stole ideas from Nintendo to use in it’s joypads for the PS3. It doesn’t matter if they did or didn’t although it would be great if someone from Sony just came out and said “Yeah we copied the motion-sensing technology from Nintendo. It’s a great idea & we thought why not put it in our PS3 joypads.” If I mention the joypad in future it will be about how developers are using the technology in games & not more accusations from rival companies & Sony defending its inclusion.

Now here is a puzzling statement from David Reeves:

“The name of the game is not market share, it’s how fast we can grow the industry – our ambition is to grow 15 per cent a year on hardware and software if we can. We want to try and double digital entertainment in the next five to six years. Whether we have 40, 50, or 60 per cent market share is not that important.”

Is this Sony’s way of saying they know they will have less of the market share compared to previous generations? Lets just say they did ‘only’ have 40% that leaves Microsoft & Nintendo battling out for the remaining 60%. Unless one of the other systems failed miserably that should still mean the PS3 would have sold more than it’s competitors.

Anyway I don’t care who ‘wins’ the console/next-gen war. As long as great games are released it just doesn’t matter to me.

MVC – Sony: Market Share Not Important

PS3Blog.net